I pinned this meatloaf awhile back and have made it, wrapped it, and put it in the freezer to pull out later (most likely for a Sunday lunch). Titled Best Meatloaf Recipe, it came from norecipes.com and looks absolutely scrumptious.
For my puposes, I call this Bacon Wrapped Gruyere Meatloaf. The Gruyere cheese is what drew me to this twist on the traditonal meatloaf, as I LOVE Gruyere and think it takes almost any dish over the top. With other flavor-packed ingredients like smoked paprika, thick-cut bacon, Worcestershire, and caramelized onions, there’s no way this can’t be a knock-out recipe. I can’t wait to pull mine out of the freezer and make it. Here it is, all wrapped up and labeled, ready for the freezer:-)
I am sharing this recipe today because two of its main ingredients are BOGO this month (June) at The Fresh Market. The BOGO deals feature chopped sirloin and market style bacon, both which are used for this recipe. (Although the original recipe specifies ground beef, chopped sirloin is just a leaner version of ground beef.)
Normally $5.99 a pound, the BOGO price is $3.00 per pound. The bacon sale price is also $3.00 per pound. So right off the bat this meatloaf can be made for $6.00 less if buying the BOGO items. FYI: The BOGO deals are Tuesdays only, and sometimes the popular sale items run out late in the day. I’ve had this happen and always try to get items I really want in the morning or early afternoon.
Bacon Wrapped Gruyere Meatloaf (Adapted from No Recipes Best Meatloaf)
- 1 pound chopped sirloin
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (my favorite garlic twist is excellent for this)
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1.5 ounces Gruyere cheese grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (for meat)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (for sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add the ground beef, ground pork, onion, garlic, panko, Gruyere, egg, milk, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, honey, soy sauce, pimentÃ³n, salt, pepper and thyme to a bowl. Put on latex gloves, and use your hands to knead the mixture until ingredients are dispersed, being careful not to knead too long (meat will toughen).
3. Line bottom of broiler pan with aluminum foil. Spray the top of the broiler pan with cooking spray to lessen sticking by the meatloaf. Shape the meat mixture into a loaf. Top with the bacon, slightly overlapping each slice.
4. Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes. While the meatloaf is in the oven, make the glaze by mixing the ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a small bowl to combine.
5. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and cover with the glaze. Return the meatloaf to the oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until an instand read thermometer reads 165 degrees.
6. Remove the meatloaf from the oven, and allow it to rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.