These addictively yummy & healthy baked cinnamon apple chips can be made crispy or soft are the perfect Fall snack.
These baked cinnamon apple chips are a new favorite snack at our house, and they are perfect for FAll!! Better yet, they require almost zero cooking skill:-)
You can make these apple chips two ways: soft and pliable (almost like dried apples) or crispy. The secret is what you do with the apples after baking them.
For soft apple chips, place the chips in an airtight container after baking.
For crisp apple chips, leave them out to dry for at least an hour after baking.
My favorite apples for this recipe are Granny Smith and Fuji~one tart and one sweet. Use any apple you like, realizing that the crisper the apple, the easier they will be to slice.
The recipe below can definitely be tweaked to preference. I usually sprinkle sugar and cinnamon rather than measuring.
Cooking time can vary based on how you want the apples to look~super dry or slightly moist. Your oven temp is so low that it is basically “drying” the apples rather than cooking them.
In the short video below, you can see my apples halfway through baking….
In my opinion, the thinner the apple chips the better they turn out and the quicker they bake. 1/8″ slices are ideal, and a mandolin can make the process much easier and prettier. The mandolins below are the ones recommended by Cook’s Illustrated in their Equipment Reviews.
These really are addictively yummy, and SO much less expensive (and healthy) than the store bought ones. If you try these, please leave your thoughts in the comments of the post. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 5 apples
- 5 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Lay parchment or foil over large baking sheet.
- Place cooking grid on baking sheet.
- Slice apples thinly; 1/8" is ideal (leave skins on).
- Toss apple slices with sugar and cinnamon until slices are well coated.
- Bake in 200 degree oven until apples begin to curl at edges.
- Turn apples; continue baking until desired doneness, roughly 3-4 hour total.
- Remove from oven.
- For DRY & CRISP apples, leave apples uncovered for at least an hour.
- For SOFT & PLIABLE apples, place apples in airtight container after removing from oven.
Amount Per Serving Calories 327 Total Fat 1g Sodium 1mg Carbohydrates 89g Sugar 71g Protein 2g