This super delicious, smoky & complex beef & butternut squash chili is also super healthy and loaded with protein, fiber, and antioxidants.
This beefy butternut squash chili is full of standout, complex flavor. It gets a warm but palatable heat from smoked paprika, chili powder, and fresh jalapeÃ±o. Onions, diced peppers, and garlic are the “trinity” aromatics. Finally, just a pinch of cinnamon gives this interest and kick that perfectly complements the butternut squash.
Beans: I like adding different colors and sizes of beans. The recipe calls for 3 cans of beans, such as black beans, kidney beans, cannellini or white beans, or pinto beans. Be sure to rinse and drain the beans before adding to the slow cooker.
Butternut squash: Costco, Trader Joe’s and Sprouts usually sell this squash already cut or diced, which I think is worth every penny (it is a pain to prep). Sweet potatoes can be substituted for squash in this and most recipes. The butternut squash needs to be steamed until tender, as it will NOT cook enough in the slow cooker (it will be hard and ruin the chili). I use Ziploc Zip & Steam bags and microwave the squash for 4-5 minutes.
In the video below, I show the process of assembling beef butternut squash chili…..
I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe; I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs ground beef or chuck
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs diced butternut squash (fresh, not frozen)
- 1 medium onion, diced (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 large green, red or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (fire roasted optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 (15 oz) cans beans (white, black, red, navy, etc...) drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (6-8-oz) can tomato paste
- 3 TB chili powder
- 1 TB + 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 TB brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown beef with onion and peppers (including jalapeno) until almost no pink remains.
- Add garlic toward the end; brown meat completely.
- Steam squash in microwave steam bag for 3-4 minutes (if desired) to reduce cook time.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients to slow cooker, stirring well.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8.
Amount Per Serving Calories 392 Total Fat 31g Saturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 43mg Sodium 275mg Carbohydrates 10g Sugar 2g Protein 11g