This beef & butternut squash chili is a delicious and different twist on chili, no one will know it contains butternut squash unless you tell them.
I came up with this butternut squash & bean chili by tweaking one of my favorite recipes~this chili with sweet potatoes & black beans. Since a 2017 goal is to get a variety of whole foods and healthy antioxidants into our diet, this chili fits the bill. It could be even healthier by substituing ground turkey or chicken for beef, but I love beef, and a little fat doesn’t bother me at all. #justkeepcalmanddrainitoff:-)
This chili is full of standout, complex flavor. It gets a warm but palatable heat from smoked paprika, chili powder, and fresh jalapeÃ±o. Onions, diced peppers, and garlic are the “trinity” aromatics. Finally, just a pinch of cinnamon gives this interest and kick that perfectly complements the butternut squash.
Beans: I like adding different colors and sizes of beans, and sometimes I’ll even throw in an extra can:-) Beans are a yummy way to stretch a dish to feed more folks AND they add much needed fiber to the diet.
Butternut squash: Costco, Trader Joe’s and Sprouts usually sell this squash already cut or diced, which I think is worth every penny (it is a pain to prep). Sweet potatoes can be substituted for squash in this and most recipes. Any time I add either of these to a soup or chili, I give them a short stint in the mircowave. When partially cooked, they’re sure to be done by dinner time. I’ve had a few incidents of too-hard potatoes, which ruins a good soup or chili.
In the video below, I show the process of assembling beef butternut squash chili…..
I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe; I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs ground beef or chuck
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs diced butternut squash (fresh, not frozen)
- 1 medium onion, diced (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 large green, red or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (fire roasted optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 (15 oz) cans beans (white, black, red, navy, etc...) drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (6-8-oz) can tomato paste
- 3 TB chili powder
- 1 TB + 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 TB brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown beef with onion and peppers (including jalapeno) until almost no pink remains.
- Add garlic toward the end; brown meat completely.
- Steam squash in microwave steam bag for 3-4 minutes (if desired) to reduce cook time.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients to slow cooker, stirring well.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 43mg Sodium: 275mg Carbohydrates: 10g Sugar: 2g Protein: 11g