This blue cheese horseradish coleslaw is a crunchy, piquant, fresh, and delicious twist on traditional coleslaw that will have folks asking for the recipe!
If you love piquant flavors and a good chopped slaw, this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw is one recipe you’ll want to bookmark. I made this for our small group young married couples this week, and they devoured it (and four of them asked for the recipe:-).
Before I share the blue cheese coleslaw recipe, I’ll list a few of my other fave slaw recipes below.
- My most popular with friends and family is this crunchy slaw.
- For a pulled pork sandwich with Alabama white sauce, I make this vinegar slaw for BBQ.
- For a quick, 4-ingredient twist on traditional slaw, I make this Zoe’s Greek chopped slaw.
Now on to the new slaw~the blue cheese horseradish coleslaw. The ratio of horseradish to mayo, along with the blue cheese, works like a charm to make a flavor-packed dressing that just works beautifully to dress the cabbage, tomatoes & onions.
Cabbage: This recipe calls for real cabbage~chopped by hand. This is a super easy task that takes less than 5 minutes and makes all the difference in the world. Simply remove outer leaves, slice cabbage into thin “discs” or pancake looking slices, and then coarsely chop into small but uneven pieces. You want it slightly rustic not processed.
In the video below, I show how to assemble the ingredients to make this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw.
Serving suggestions: I made and served this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw with my friend Bobby’s Boston Butt on the Big Green Egg. This slaw would be perfect as a topping or side for grilled burgers since horseradish and blue cheese pair so well with beef. I also think it would be a perfect side to go with French Dip sandwiches or BBQ sandwiches as well.
Make ahead: The cabbage, green onions and tomatoes can be prepped a day ahead and stored in separate plastic bags. The dressing can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. The entire coleslaw can be assembled and sprinkled with remaining blue cheese an hour or so before serving.
My Serving bowl: So many have asked me about this Beatrix Ball white melamine bowl, so I’ll share the details here. I found this one at At Home Furnishings locally but have purchased several others as gifts through Nordstrom. I have the platters and salad tongs as well. This is the prettiest white melamine I’ve seen.
I would love to hear from any of you who try this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped small by hand
- 5-6 green onions, sliced (include green tops)
- 1 cup or so cherry tomatoes, cut into halves or thirds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TB prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (divide in half; use 1/4 cup for dressing and 1/4 cup for garnish)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In large bowl, place chopped cabbage, sliced green onions & slice tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise horseradish, and 1/4 cup blue cheese until well blended.
- Pour dressing onto slaw; stir well (use gloved hands to massage slaw for best results).
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup blue cheese on top.
- Spinkle with a smidge of black pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2143 Total Fat: 230g Saturated Fat: 38g Cholesterol: 153mg Sodium: 2056mg Carbohydrates: 14g Sugar: 11g Protein: 8g