This is the best recipe for blue cheese coleslaw ever, and horseradish adds even more flavor to this fresh, crunchy side that everyone loves.
This is the best blue cheese coleslaw.
I’ve tried many versions of blue cheese coleslaw, and this one is the best in my opinion. If you love piquant flavors and a good chopped slaw, this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw is one recipe you’ll want to bookmark. The ratio of horseradish to mayo, along with the blue cheese, works like a charm to make a flavor-packed dressing that just works beautifully to dress the cabbage, tomatoes & onions.
Chop your own cabbage
This recipe calls for real cabbage~chopped by hand. This is a super easy task that takes less than 5 minutes and makes all the difference in the world. Simply remove outer leaves, slice cabbage into thin “discs” or pancake looking slices, and then coarsely chop into small but uneven pieces. You want the heft of hand chopped, so resist the urge to use bagged coleslaw or to use the food processor.
In the video below, I show how to assemble the ingredients to make this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw.
What goes well with blue cheese coleslaw?
I made and served this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw with my friend Bobby’s Boston Butt on the Big Green Egg. This slaw would be perfect as a topping or side for grilled burgers since horseradish and blue cheese pair so well with beef. I also think it would be a perfect side to go with French Dip sandwiches or BBQ sandwiches as well.
Blue cheese coleslaw is easy to make ahead.
The cabbage, green onions and tomatoes can be prepped a day ahead and stored in separate plastic bags. The dressing can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. The entire coleslaw can be assembled and sprinkled with remaining blue cheese an hour or so before serving.
My Serving bowl: So many have asked me about this Beatrix Ball white melamine bowl, so I’ll share the details here. I found this one at At Home Furnishings locally but have purchased several others as gifts through Nordstrom. I have the platters and salad tongs as well. This is the prettiest white melamine I’ve seen.
I would love to hear from any of you who try this blue cheese horseradish coleslaw. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped small by hand
- 5-6 green onions, sliced (include green tops)
- 1 cup or so cherry tomatoes, cut into halves or thirds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TB prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (divide in half; use 1/4 cup for dressing and 1/4 cup for garnish)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In large bowl, place chopped cabbage, sliced green onions & slice tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise horseradish, and 1/4 cup blue cheese until well blended.
- Pour dressing onto slaw; stir well (use gloved hands to massage slaw for best results).
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup blue cheese on top.
- Spinkle with a smidge of black pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g