This heart of palm salad is a unique and flavor packed salad with one of the yummiest dressings I’ve ever tasted. Bookmark this recipe!
This heart of palm salad recipe was shared on one of my favorite blogs, Carolyn Bradford’s It Doesn’t Fall Far From the Tree. To say that Carolyn is a good cook is an understatement. Any recipe that she posts, I pin! I should probably have a Pinterest board named “Carolyn’s Recipes!” Her recipes are always unique, delicious, and family friendly.
Carolyn was so gracious when I asked if I could share her recipe on Family Savvy. She said that she serves this every Christmas Eve and on a few other occasions and that everyone just loves it. I served this salad with my favorite chicken tetrazzini and these Mississippi green beans.
Although the recipe is named “Heart of Palm Salad,” Carolyn said that she has always used artichoke hearts instead. I think either could work beautifully in this recipe. Better yet, both could be used, as the flavors are complimentary.
Heart of palm resemble a white asparagus stem. I always chop mine into small pieces about the size of a penny. Artichoke hearts can be bought whole or sliced/quartered. Cook’s Illustrated recommends Pastene Baby Artichokes or Reese Cocktail artichokes, both in jars (not cans).
- 2 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn up
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 10-12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 C blue cheese crumbles
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Layer lettuce, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Top with blue cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Place onion, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt & pepper in food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Slowly add the oil in stages, blending well until slightly thickened.
- When ready to serve the salad, add dressing and toss well.
Amount Per Serving Calories 2495 Total Fat 257g Saturated Fat 32g Cholesterol 100mg Sodium 2862mg Carbohydrates 20g Sugar 9g Protein 32g