This chicken pesto pizza is topped with basil pesto seasoned chicken, three cheeses, fresh tomatoes and baby spinach; it is suprisingly easy to make and tastes like restaurant quality pie.
This cheesy chicken pesto pizza is so fresh and delicious, even kids who would normally turn up their noses at pesto will scarf it down on this pizza! The marriage of cheeses, chicken, pesto and fresh tomatoes makes for a flavor overload that is hard to beat. This fresh spinach tucked in the middle won’t be noticed by most kids, so this is a great way to sneak spinach into their diets:-)
Make ahead: This pizza can be assembled just to the point of baking and kept in the fridge a day ahead. When I use the individual flatbreads, I arrange them in a large tupperware.
Savvy Suggestions: You can use any brand of seasonings, crusts, etc….but I’ll share my favorites below.
- Pesto. Costco’s Kirkland basil pesto is amazing! It tastes as close to freshly made as any I’ve ever found and is a huge bang for the buck (a large jar is roughly $7.00). I use it for this pizza, this pasta salad, and this yummy chicken.
- Seasoning. If you like making homemade pizzas, Penzey’s makes a frozen pizza seasoning and a pizza seasoning that I love. If you don’t have either, Italian seasoning works great.
- Crusts or flatbread: Our favorite flatbread is Naan, which I used in this recipe. When I use pizza crust, I always go with our favorite~Mama Mary’s ultra thin restaurant style.
I included some photos below of how easily this pizza comes together. If you try this, please leave comments and let us hear how you made it and how it turns out! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- store bought flatbread or pizza crust
- extra virgin olive oil
- prepared basil pesto (I use Kirkland)
- chicken tenders or breasts
- Penzey's frozen pizza seasoning (or Italian seasoning)
- freshly grated parmesan
- shredded mozzarella
- shredded fontina
- baby spinach
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place chicken in large skillet on medium heat.
- Drizzle with EVOO, salt, pepper, and Penzey's pizza seasoning (or Italian seasoning).
- Cook until chicken is done (internal temp of 165 degrees). Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place chicken in a bowl; add pesto and stir until chicken is coated on all sides.
- Assemble flatbreads or pizza crust on cookie sheet.( I put mine atop a grid so that heat will circulate under the crust.)
- Brush flatbread or crust with EVOO.
- Sprinkle flatbread with mozzarella.
- Lay pieces of baby spinach atop mozzarella.
- Place chicken atop spinach.
- Top with tomatoes and shredded fontina.
- Sprinkle with more mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake in 400 degree oven 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.