This Chipotle’s beef barbacoa copycat recipe is a spicy Mexican shredded beef that is made in the slow cooker and can be used for spicy tacos, burritos, or burrito bowls.
I love Chipotle and always get 1/2 Beef Barbacoa and 1/2 chicken in my bowls. When I have a Tex-Mex style dinner, I often make this Beef Barbacoa along with this yummy shredded salsa chicken. This is always an inexpensive, easy, and delicious party meal that folks love.
What is beef Barbacoa?
Beef barbacoa is simply a spicy Mexican shredded beef you’ll find in Mexican restaurants~Chipotle being one of the most popular. It is most often used to make tacos, burritos or burrito bowls. The shredded beef is used to make burrito bowls, tacos, and other Tex-Mex dishes. One of my favorite ways to use Beef Barbacoa is to make street tacos.
How do you make beef Barbacoa in a slow cooker?
It is super easy to make beef Barbacoa using a slow cooker. You simply sear a roast (I prefer rump, bottom or London Broil), slow cook it in the spicy mixture, shred it, and return to the sauce. You can keep the beef for several days in the fridge or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
In the video below, I show how I made the Beef Barbacoa (and I share some helpful tips along the way).
How to Make Street Tacos with Beef Barbacoa
Beef Barbacoa street tacos are so easy and yummy. Small taco shells (corn or flour) are what make street tacos unique, but you can use regular shells also (the flavor is the same:-) The tacos taste delicious and authentic with fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, and cojita cheese.
I’d love to hear back from you if you try this, so feel free to leave comments! Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- 3 1/2 - 5 pound rump or bottom round roast
- 1 TB sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild red enchilada sauce
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilis
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced
- juice from one lime (2 TB)
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB Worcestershire
- 1 TB liquid smoke
- 1 TB EACH ground cumin & oregano
- 1 tsp EACH garlic powder & onion powder
- 1/2 tsp EACH chili powder & smoke paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH ground cloves & ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Cut roast into large pieces (6-7).
- Sprinkle meat with salt & pepper.
- Brown meat in hot oil until seared on all sides.
- Place seared meat with drippings into slow cooker.
- Place all other ingredients in bowl; whisk or blend well.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Remove meat; place on cutting board.
- Shred meat with fork; place back in slow cooker.
- Stir shredded meat in sauce; let sit on warm until ready to serve.
- Serve meat on soft tortillas or with rice, beans, tortilla chips and other condiments.
Many recipes for beef barbacoa call for chuck roast; I think this cut is way too fatty. My butcher recommends rump or bottom roast. You could also try London broil.
Amount Per Serving Calories 311 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 107mg Sodium 534mg Carbohydrates 5g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 34g