This Chipotle’s beef barbacoa copycat recipe makes a slow cooker full of savory, spicy shredded beef for tacos, burritos, or Mexican bowls.
What is beef Barbacoa?
Beef barbacoa is simply a spicy Mexican shredded beef you’ll find in Mexican restaurants~Chipotle being one of the most popular. The shredded beef is used to make burrito bowls, tacos, and other Tex-Mex dishes. One of my favorite ways to use Beef Barbacoa is to make street tacos.
How do you make beef Barbacoa in a slow cooker?
It is super easy to make beef Barbacoa using a slow cooker. Since you cut the roast into large pieces and brown them before cooking, you can use a casserole crockpot. I love this stainless one and use it more than my traditional slow cooker. You simply sear your roasst and finish cooking it in a slow cook it in all the savory spices. Then, you shred it and return it to the sauce. You can keep the beef for several days in the fridge or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
How to Make Street Tacos with Beef Barbacoa
Beef Barbacoa street tacos are so easy and yummy. Small taco shells (corn or flour) are what make street tacos unique, but you can use regular shells also (the flavor is the same:-) The tacos taste delicious and authentic with fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, and cojita cheese. Here are the ingredients that I use for making tacos with beef barbacoa: beef barbacoa, diced tomato, fresh cilantro, cheese (cojita or cheddar), and salsa.
Good sides for beef barbacoa.
If you want an easy guacamole to serve with your tacos and Mexican feast, you might want to try this Perfect Guacamole in 5 Minutes or the unbelievable REAL Dos Caminos Guacamole. I also like to serve a good cheese dip as well.
I’d love to hear back from you if you try this recipe, so feel free to leave comments! I try to reply quickly to everyone who posts. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- 3 1/2 - 5-pound rump or bottom round roast
- 1 TB sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild red enchilada sauce
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilis
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced
- juice from one lime (2 TB)
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB Worcestershire
- 1 TB liquid smoke
- 1 TB EACH ground cumin & oregano
- 1 tsp EACH garlic powder & onion powder
- 1/2 tsp EACH chili powder & smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH ground cloves & ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Cut roast into large pieces (6-7).
- Sprinkle meat with salt & pepper.
- Brown meat in hot oil until seared on all sides.
- Place seared meat with drippings into slow cooker.
- Place all other ingredients in bowl; whisk or blend well.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Remove meat; place on cutting board.
- Shred meat with fork; place back in slow cooker.
- Stir shredded meat in sauce; let sit on warm until ready to serve.
- Serve meat on soft tortillas or with rice, beans, tortilla chips and other condiments.
Many recipes for beef barbacoa call for chuck roast; I think this cut is way too fatty. My butcher recommends rump or bottom roast. You could also try London broil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 534mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g