This chocolate eclair dessert has graham cracker layers filled with cheesecake pudding and topped with a chocolate ganache.
This recipe is one that I made often in my early years of marriage. Zane and I attended many church potlucks and supper club dinners, and this was an easy dessert that always drew raves.
There are two options for the icing. The only one that I listed in the recipe box is the homemade one. It tastes so much better to me than canned icing. BUT…..in a pinch, you can always microwave a can of chocolate frosting for 30 seconds to use as your topping.
Note: It is best to make this a full 24 hours before serving so that the graham crackers will soften to the right consistency.
What is a traditional chocolate eclair?
A traditional chocolate eclair is a french dessert that consists of a pastry with a custard filling and topped with icing. However, this dessert is more of a chocolate eclair cake, with different layers of graham crackers and cheesecake pudding. The cheesecake mirrors the custards in the traditional eclair, and they both have a chocolate icing layer on top.
This recipe is more of an easy and quick way to mirror this dessert, not a recipe for a traditional French eclair. It is a lot easier and equally as delicious!
What does eclair mean?
As I mentioned earlier, an eclair is a name for a French pastry that is filled with cream and topped with icing. The actual word eclair in French means ‘flash’ or ‘flash of lightning’ in reference to the speed at which people ate them. A chocolate eclair is an eclair with chocolate ganache on top. This recipe isn’t a traditional eclair but mirrors a lot of the delicious flavors.
Does chocolate eclair have nuts?
No! Chocolate eclair does not have nuts. This means that this recipe is safe for those with nut allergies. However, this recipe does contain dairy so if you’re dairy sensitive I would suggest looking for a dairy alternative to supplement.
Is this chocolate eclair recipe easy to make?
You can make this chocolate eclair cake in 20 minutes! Since it doesn’t take any cook time and just needs to chill in the fridge, this is the perfect dessert to prep the day before to bring to any functions. You will LOVE this easy and delicious dessert!
How long can a chocolate eclair cake last?
This chocolate eclair dessert is a no-bake dessert and because of that, the cake needs to settle in the fridge for 24 hours to get to that good, softened graham cracker consistency. With proper storage in an airtight container and in the fridge, this cake can last for several days.
Can you put this chocolate eclair dessert in the freezer?
If you are wanting this dessert to last for a while, putting it in the freezer will lengthen its shelf life without degrading any of the flavors or consistency of the dessert. In short, yes, go for it!
If you try this, let me hear back! Comments are always welcome and appreciated. Thanks so much for stopping by! Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 (14 oz) box graham crackers
- 2 (3 oz) boxes vanilla pudding (cheesecake flavored pudding is also fabulous)
- 3 cups cold milk (I use skim; it works fine)
- 1 (8 or 12 oz) container Cool Whip (either will work)
- 2 TB butter
- 2 oz (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
- 5-6 TB milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Spray 9 x 13 dish with cooking spray; line with graham crackers.
- Mix pudding and milk; put in fridge for 5 minutes to "set."
- Remove from fridge, and stir in Cool Whip.
- Pour half of pudding mixture over graham crackers.
- Add another layer of graham crackers.
- Pour the rest of pudding mixture over.
- End with one more layer graham crackers.
- Pour icing (recipe below) over graham crackers and spread to cover.
- Refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
- Melt butter and chocolate in pan.
- Remove from heat; add remaining ingredients.
- Spread over top of torte.
- Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 13mgSodium 93mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 18gProtein 4g