Make crispy BBQ wings in the Instant Pot for a yummy, crowd-pleasing party food that everyone will devour!
Rather than spend a fortune on take out wings, I make these crispy BBQ wings in my Instant Pot. I can make double or triple the amount of wings compared to buying take out, and are always a hit.
First, on the Instant Pot. There are a few places to purchase an IP and several models from which to choose. My 8-qt is perfect for me; I do large batch cooking and need the capacity. A 6-qt should be large enough for basic single family meals. I listed below the online retailers currently selling the Instant Pot.
- Williams-Sonoma has this 8-quart model with 9 functions. Sign up for emails for an additional 15% off plus free shipping.
- The 8-qt here on amazon.
- These 6-qt. models at Crate & Barel. Email sign up gets you an additional 10% off and free shipping.
- Sur la Table has both the 6-qt and 8-qt ultra models.
Now, on to how to make crispy BBQ wings in the Instant Pot!
Wings are such a hit at any party but can be pricey. I love using my Instant Pot to make these crispy BBQ wings. I serve them with some of my fave wings in town that won’t break the bank but that are super yummy. (For my faves, read below).
Steps to pressure cooking wings on manual setting in Instant Pot.
- First, find the Instant Pot Manual button. This will indicate pressure cooking.
- Next, use the plus and minus buttons to adjust the cooking time, in this case to 10.
- In a few seconds, the Instant Pot will start cooking automatically.
- When wings are done, do a quick release and remove wings when the lid unlocks.
- Proceed with oven crisping.
A large wire baking rack is a must for allowing air to circulate around the wings when crisping. I use this extra large Nordic Ware cooling rack. Line the baking sheet underneath with foil to avoid mess. The cooling sheet will have to be cleaned after cooking, and a stiff brush is helpful in removing baked on pieces of skin & meat:-)
Wing sauce: I like a nice undertone of heat to my wings, so I typically do 1/2 hot sauce (Texas Peet or Franks) and 1/2 “sweet BBQ sauce” (Bob Gibson’s, Sticky Fingers, etc….).
I served my Instant Pot crispy wings (pictured on left) on a large platter alongside The Fresh Market wings (pictured on right). The Fresh Market has a wings deal which includes two sides and corn muffins, so it actually is a good deal.
If you try these crispy BBQ wings in an Instant Pot, please let me hear how they turn out! I love hearing from readers:-) As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Have a joyful, blessed & savvy day!
- 2 pounds chicken wings or drumettes
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I use 1/2 hot sauce and 1/2 sweet like Sticky Fingers etc...)
- 1 cup water
- Turn oven to broil; place rack 5-6" from broiler elements.
- Place chicken in Instant Pot.
- Pour sauce and water over wings/drumettes.
- Press manual; adjust + or - until 10 minutes appears in window.
- When cook time stops, do a quick release.
- Spray wire rack heavily with cooking spray.
- Place chicken on wire rack; broil for 5 minutes.
- Flip wings; broil 5 more minutes.
- Baste with BBQ sauce; broil until desired exterior (watch carefully).
- Serve with carrots, celery & ranch dressing.
Amount Per Serving Calories 132 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 5mg Sodium 1161mg Carbohydrates 20g Sugar 13g Protein 4g