Here’s the easy DIY recipe for the best shower door cleaner EVER using Dawn & vinegar~safe, non-toxic, and inexpensive!
The Best Shower Door Cleaner Isn’t Found at the Grocery Store
I am a stickler for clean shower doors and have searched for years for the “best product” to do the job. A few years ago, I was surprised to find out that the best shower door cleaner was a surprising mixture of inexpensive products that I already had at home. This mixture can’t be bought “ready made” at the store, but it can be made in minutes at home!
How does Dawn and Vinegar work to clean shower doors?
I don’t know the science behind it, but I’ve read that the detergent in Dawn breaks down grease and grime, while the acidic vinegar removes residue and imparts shine. Amonia based window cleaners won’t tackle tough shower doors, which are dirtier than most windows (due to soap scum).
My shower doors are proof that this solution works.
I’ve been using this solution for years, and I’ve had my shower doors for almost 8 years. The photos in this post were taken recently (to update this post). The shine you see is the real deal. This solution works.
Before discovering the Dawn and vinegar solution, I tried myriad store bought products that claimed to clean shower doors. Nothing yielded good results. The bottom line is that cleaning shower doors is a very challenging task, and soap scum is hard to remove without the right ingredients.
Fortunately, the right ingredients are simple, inexpensive, and effective. All you need is Dawn, white vinegar, and a professional spray bottle.
If you’ll use this several times weekly, your shower doors will stay clear and clean, as soap scum will be kept at bay. Below I share in a video how I make and use this Dawn & Vinegar Shower Door Cleaner…..
- 1 part Dawn liquid (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 part white vinegar (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 good sprayer (Zep is my fave)
- Heat 1 1/2 cups vinegar in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Pour vinegar into spray bottle.
- Add 1 1/2 cups liquid Dawn to spray bottle.
- Shake well.
1) Have a funnel handy so that you can easily fill the sprayer with both solutions.
2) Heat vinegar before adding the Dawn. Supposedly, heating the vinegar prior to adding the Dawn makes the solution mix together more efficiently, so I always heat my vinegar when making a new bottle of solution.
3). Put the solution in a professional sprayer. I found a Zep professional sprayer at Home Depot, and it is far superior to any sprayer I’ve ever used. It is sturdy, comfortable in the hand, and sprays a large surface area with each pull of the trigger. I tried a few inexpensive sprayers before tossing them all and getting one that works. This sprayer can also be purchased here on amazon but is less expensive at Home Depot.
4) Keep a squeegee in the shower to use with the spray. The OXO Good Grips All-Purpose Squeegee is my favorite for both shower doors and windows. It is much easier and less expensive than cloths or paper towels.
Note: If you do the process while showering, be prepared for a strong vinegar smell. This doesn’t bother me at all, as vinegar is natural and non-toxic.
So there you have it~my favorite cleaning hack for the bathroom~Dawn Shower Door Cleaner. I hope you try this; if so, please comment so the rest of us can hear your thoughts!!! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay (shower door) savvy!!!