Dr. Vaughn on Omega-3’s: The Essential Supplement
Dr. Mike Vaughn is going to share some helpful information on the importance of Omega-3 supplements (fish oil). Because of Dr. Vaughn’s knowledge in the area of anti-aging, my family has learned a great deal, and fish oil is a MUST in our home. Although we aren’t as consistent as we should be in giving it to the kids, Zane and I take fish oil every day. When Dr. Vaughn told us once, “you can do without a lot of things, but NEVER do without fish oil,” we listened.
Below, Dr. Vaughn shares helpful information about Omega-3 supplementation and why he believes it is something we should all take seriously.
Omega- 3 fatty acids are one of the best anti-aging supplements available and should be the foundation of any anti-aging program. Cheap, readily available, and easy to take with virtually no side effects, everyone can benefit from these potent life extenders. Many diseases that are common in the U.S. could be greatly reduced if everyone would take Omega-3 supplements.
For example, the number one killer of people in the U.S. is heart disease. Every one of us knows a friend or relative who has died suddenly from a heart attack. All of us know someone who has heart trouble or congestive heart failure. This disease is widespread and affects all races and both sexes. Omega-3 fatty acids are incredibly good for prevention of heart disease and heart attacks. Let’s look at the studies.
- A large study out of Italy showed a 50% reduction in sudden death in people with the largest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids in their system. A 50% reduction! This reduction is greater than anything a prescription heart or cholesterol medicine could do, and with hardly any risk and minimal cost.
- Another study showed a 50% reduction in the development of congestive heart failure in the people with the highest levels of Omega-3 fatty acids in their blood. Congestive heart failure is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. Again, we have minimal cost and no side effects.
- In high enough doses, Omega-3 fatty acids can lower triglycerides by 50%. This is protective for the heart, liver and pancreas.
- Omega-3 fatty acids lower blood pressure, and this is good for your heart and your brain.
- There is a 40-90% reduction in heart arrhythmias (where the heart does not beat regularly) like atrial fibrillation in people supplemented with Omega-3.
There are many more studies I could site, but you get the picture. Omega-3’s are important, they have myriad benefits, and they can benefit everyone. I tell all of my patients this, and I will repeat it here:
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR HEART IS OMEGA-3, AND THE MORE YOU TAKE, THE BETTER IT IS FOR YOU!!!!!
If you have a blood pressure or heart condition, and your doctor does not have you on this vital substance, ask him or her to put you on it, or change doctors. IT IS THAT IMPORTANT!
I recommend at least 2000mg of Omega-3 fatty acids a day. To determine how many capsules you need to take, you’ll need to look at the EPA and DHA amounts listed on the bottle. Add these numbers together, and take enough capsules to equal 2000 mg. It is the sum of these numbers that you want to look at, not necessarily what is written on the front of the bottle.
Omega-3 helps in so many areas, it is almost too good to be true, but it is. This easy, low cost supplement can get you and your family on the road to better health.
O.K. Here is the low down on fish oil and burping. Dr. Vaughn said that if you’ll keep the fish oil capsules in the fridge, they will not “digest” until they reach the small intestines. For some reason, this solves the burping issue. Dr. Vaughn’s wife avoids the burping and stomach irritation by taking any problematic supplements 1/2 hour before bedtime. She also recommends taking with some form of carbonated beverage. I have tried this, and it worked form me. The carbonation seems to dissolve the pills more quickly.
Hope this helps, and I hope you and Blake get back on the fish oil!!!
Hey there, Karen! I will ask him and let you know. Have you tried the enteric coated from Costco? They are supposed to dissolve in a way that avoids that problem.
Can Dr Vaughn recommend an Omega 3 that does not have burping as a side effect? This is why we discontinued using it at our house! Also, there is an awful fishy after taste.