We grilled a flatiron steak after 16 hours in “World’s Best Marinade,” and here is what we thought…….
If you’ve been on Pinterest for any length of time, you’ve likely seen the viral recipe, “World’s Best Steak Marinade in Existence.” I decided to try this marinade on flatiron steak and to share my thoughts here on the blog. First, I’ll address some basic questions that some might have.
What is Flatiron Steak?
Cut from the Top Blade, flat iron steak is extremely tender, well-marbled and flavorful and great for grilling. Flat Iron steak is the second most tender cut after the tenderloin. It’s often considered to be an ultra tender alternative to the ribeye.
Is flatiron steak the same as flank steak?
No, they are not the same. The flank steak is leaner than the flat iron, but both are flavorful and tender. Below are some of the cuts of beef explained.
What is The difference between flatiron steak, hanger steak, flank steak and skirt steak?
- Flatiron Steak: A flat muscle off the shoulder blade. This cut is known for being tender. It is best marinaded and grilled.
- Hanger Steak: This cut “hangs” between the tenderloin and the rib, encircled by the rib cage. It is tender & flavorful, but expensive (one hanger steak per cow). It is often seasoned and skillet seared (for steak frites) or broiled.
- Flank Steak: This cut lies on the belly close to the hind legs. It is super lean and needs to be marinaded and sliced very thinly across the grain. It is often used in fajitas and stir-frys.
- Skirt Steak: Long, thin, and fibrous, this is actually the cow’s diaphragm. It is a chewy piece of meat that really requires tenderizing (whacking with a meat mallet) and marinading. This is the traditional cut used for fajitas.
The best flatiron steak that I have ever eaten came from Shipley Farms. You can visit their website here and place orders and subscribe to monthly orders.
How long should you marinate a flatiron steak?
12-24 hours is plenty of time to marinate a flatiron steak. Too much longer than 24 hours could result in over tenderizing and making the steak mushy.
Is The Best Steak Marinade in Existence Really the Best?
My opinion is simply my own; however, I do enjoy and highly recommend the marinade (in recipe below). My personal favorite, though, is this Kensington Club Steak Marinade, which was the signature marinade at the (now closed) Steak and Ale restaurant chain. It is outstanding.
A Video of Me Making The World’s Best Steak Marinade in Existence
My Favorite Carving Board and Serving Platter
I absolutely love my Williams’-Sonoma carving board:-). We use it every time we grill meat. The side channels prevent juices from spilling, and the meat is so easy to slice. The link to my exact board is below (WS has MANY boards; it took me awhile to find this one when my friend recommended it:-).
I’d LOVE to hear back from any of you who have thoughts or opinions on the topic. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed, and savvy day!!!
- Flat iron steak
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Combine all marinade ingredients; stir until combined.
- Place steak inside heavy duty ziploc bag; pour marinade over.
- Marinade 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Grill flatiron until desired doneness.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Cut thinly across the grain; serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Adapted from Allrecipes.