We grilled a flat iron steak after marinating 16 hours in the “World’s Best Marinade,” and here is what we thought…
If you’ve been on Pinterest for any length of time, you’ve likely seen the viral recipe, “World’s Best Steak Marinade in Existence.” I decided to try this marinade on a flat iron steak and to share my thoughts here on the blog. First, I’ll address some basic questions that some might have.
What is a flat iron steak?
Cut from the Top Blade, flat iron steak is extremely tender, well-marbled, flavorful, and great for grilling. Flat iron steak is the second most tender cut after the tenderloin. It’s often considered to be an ultra-tender alternative to the ribeye.
Is flat iron steak the same as flank steak?
No, they are not the same. The flank steak is leaner than the flat iron, but both are flavorful and tender. Below are some of the cuts of beef explained.
What is The difference between flat iron steak, hanger steak, flank steak, and skirt steak?
- Flat iron Steak: A flat muscle off the shoulder blade. This cut is known for being tender. It is best marinated and grilled.
- Hanger Steak: This cut “hangs” between the tenderloin and the rib, encircled by the rib cage. It is tender & flavorful, but expensive (one hanger steak per cow). It is often seasoned and skillet-seared (for steak frites) or broiled.
- Flank Steak: This cut lies on the belly close to the hind legs. It is super lean and needs to be marinaded and sliced very thinly across the grain. It is often used in fajitas and stir-frys.
- Skirt Steak: Long, thin, and fibrous, this is actually the cow’s diaphragm. It is a chewy piece of meat that really requires tenderizing (whacking with a meat mallet) and marinading. This is the traditional cut used for fajitas.
The best flat iron steak that I have ever eaten came from Shipley Farms. You can visit their website here and place orders and subscribe to monthly orders.
How long should you marinate a flat iron steak?
12-24 hours is plenty of time to marinate a flat iron steak. Too much longer than 24 hours could result in over-tenderizing and making the steak mushy.
What goes in the “World’s Best Marinade”?
This marinade is made up of a lot of yummy ingredients and spices that make this steak phenomenal. The marinade consists of soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and a large mix of spices including cayenne pepper, ground white pepper, and more. The key to this marinade is making sure that your steak marinates for plenty of time so it can soak up all of those delicious flavors from the marinade.
Is The Best Steak Marinade in Existence Really the Best?
My opinion is simply my own; however, I do enjoy and highly recommend the marinade (in the recipe below). My personal favorite, though, is this Kensington Club Steak Marinade, which was the signature marinade at the (now closed) Steak and Ale restaurant chain. It is outstanding.
Is it hard to grill Flat Iron Steak after marinating?
It does not take very long to grill this steak and I recommend cooking it however you normally like your steak. Just do it how you like it, super simple and super easy! Once it is done to your liking, you can pull it off the grill and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
How do you cut a flat iron steak?
The most important thing to know when you are cutting your grilled flat iron steak is to cut it against the grain. If you haven’t heard of this before it basically just means to cut in the opposite direction from the fibers of the meat. Another good thing to note is that you will want to wait at least 10 minutes after you pull the meat off of the grill in order to let it rest. After that, you are good to start slicing it!
A Video of Me Making The World’s Best Steak Marinade in Existence
My Favorite Carving Board and Serving Platter
I absolutely love my Williams’-Sonoma carving board:-). We use it every time we grill meat. The side channels prevent juices from spilling, and the meat is so easy to slice. The link to my exact board is below (WS has MANY boards; it took me a while to find this one when my friend recommended it.)
I’d LOVE to hear back from any of you who have thoughts or opinions on the topic. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed, and savvy day!!!
- Flat iron steak
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Combine all marinade ingredients; stir until combined.
- Place steak inside heavy duty ziploc bag; pour marinade over.
- Marinade 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Grill flatiron until desired doneness.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Cut thinly across the grain; serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 112Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 6mgSodium 451mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 3g
Adapted from Allrecipes.