These gourmet cauliflower cheese grits are made with sharp white cheddar (or Gruyere) cheese and topped with fresh parmesan for a golden au gratin crust.
These gourmet cauliflower cheese grits are a new and healthy version of these gourmet Gruyere cheese grits that my family loves. When I make the cauli version with Gruyere, it is almost identical in taste~just different in texture.
The gourmet cauliflower cheese grits really are easy to make. I keep a head of cauliflower pretty much all the time, and I whip these “grits” up as a healthy side when we need a potato-like substitute.
The recipe uses a whole head of cauliflower which is really easiest to boil. It can be steamed in an Instant Pot, but I personally find it quicker to just break into chunks and steam on the stovetop in a saucepan using a steamer basket.
Cheese: Use fresh and grate it yourself; you’ll be amazed at how much better it is! I use either extra sharp white cheddar or Gruyere. I cut the block into chunks and toss into my Ninja. A few pulses, and the cheese is ready. I’ll do the same with the cauliflower~a few pulses and it is “riced.”
Freshly grated parmesan takes this over the top and gives it the golden au gratin crust. A light sprinkling of paprika gives it the added color.
Baking dish: In this photo, the grits are in a scalloped pie plate that although pretty, is not my favorite for these grits. It is a deep dish, and I much prefer using a larger quiche or gratin dish. The larger dishes allow the cauliflower to spread out more and get more of the yummy golden brown, cheesy crust.
Make Ahead: You can steam and process (rice) the cauliflower early in the day. Keep the riced cauliflower in the fridge in a colander so that any excess moisture can escape. When ready to make, just add the other ingredients and bake per recipe.
I link below to items that I used and similar ones that are good for making and serving these cauliflower grits.
If you give these gourmet cauliflower cheese grits a try, please let me know your thoughts and how they turn out! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed, and savvy day!!!
- 1 head cauliflower, stem removed and cut into florets
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar (or Gruyere)
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 TB butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets into steamer basket.
- Place basket in saucepan with 1-2 inches water; bring water to boil.
- Place lid on pan (it may not fit completely); keep water to a low boil.
- Steam 15-20 minutes or until florets are easily pierced with a fork.
- When done, lift steamer basket from pan; allow cauliflower to drain/cool in basket.
- When cool, grate cauliflower or pulse gently in a food processor until chopped small.
- Place cauliflower, cheddar, egg, butter and seasonings in a bowl; mix well.
- Spread mixture into large baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 337Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 92mgSodium 306mgCarbohydrates 6gSugar 2gProtein 2g