These easy to make healthy Italian-style turkey stuffed peppers get HUGE flavor with seasoned basmati rice, marinara, and flavorful cheeses.
I made these amazing turkey stuffed peppers this week and the kids went crazy over them (Zane was out of town). In fact, a little family feud broke out over who got the 2 left over peppers:-)
For 2019, I am trying to incorporate more vegetables and more color (red, yellow and green) into our meals. These peppers fit the bill, and are delicious to boot.
The Low-Down on Stuffed Peppers…
- What are stuffed peppers? Basically, stuffed peppers are large bell peppers of any color cut into halves, filled with meat and other ingredients, and baked until soft. The peppers are eaten along with the filling.
- What ingredients are common in stuffed peppers? Ground meat, usually turkey or beef, is the most common ingredient. The meat is usually seasoned and often mixed with a sauce or marinara. Rice, beans, and cheese(s) are common ingredients in stuffed peppers. The two most common types of stuffed peppers are Italian-style and Te-Mex style.
- Are stuffed peppers healthy? Stuffed peppers can be VERY healthy based on choice of ingredients. These healthy Italian-style turkey stuffed peppers are quite healthy and can be made even healthier with a few easy tweaks (shared below).
Easy Steps to Making Stuffed Peppers…..
My Stuffed Peppers Ingredients Cheat Sheet
Many readers want to know the exact ingredients/brands I use, so here goes:
- Meat: I used ground turkey; ground beef would work well in this recipe (but would not be as healthy).
- Marinara: Rao’s homemade marinara is my favorite jarred pasta sauce and one of the healthiest you can buy. It has less sugar than many less expensive jarred sauces, and it has a true homemade flavor.
- Rice: I used Trader Joe’s Basmati Rice Medley. Made with chicken broth, it is SO flavorful! Any rice could be used, and brown rice would be an especially healthy option.
- Cheese(s): Lisa uses goat cheese, which I meant to use but didn’t have on hand. I used Swiss-Gruyere in the filling and parmesan for topping. I will DEFINITELY try goat cheese next time.
- Seasonings: The turkey meat needs to be seasoned as not to be bland. I made things easy. 1/2 teaspoon each of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. It was perfect.
Friends, these peppers were outstanding. My girls raved, and the leftovers were just as good the next day. These will be on a regular rotation for sure.
Serving suggestion: These are perfect with a simple green salad. I share my go-to salad and homemade vinaigrette below.
My go-to green salad:
- red onion
- black olives
My go-to vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 TB water
- 1 TB Good Seasonings dressing mix
I hope you try these turkey stuffed peppers! If so, please leave comments below with your thoughts, suggestions and any substitutions you made that worked for you! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a blessed and savvy start to 2019:-)