Here is how to make spinach artichoke dip that tastes just like Houston’s AND that is a savory low carb and Keto appetizer.
What is Houston’s?
Believe it or not, I’ve had this question from a few readers, so here is the answer! Houston’s Restaurant is an upscale American casual dining restaurant chain whose main corporate headquarters is in Beverly Hills, California.
Why are there so many recipes for Houston’s spinach artichoke dip?
If you google Houston’s spinach artichoke dip, you will see a slew of copycat recipes. This is because Houston’s is known for this cheesy, savory, appetizer. It is one of the most popular menu items.
Where did you get this recipe for Houston’s spinach artichoke dip?
My friend Sally Reiser shared this recipe in a Briarwood Christian School cookbook years ago, and it was and still is one of the most popular party food recipes in my circles. Is it the exact Houston’s recipe? I am not sure, but I can say that it tastes as good (perhaps better) to me. I’ve never served this dip that folks have not asked for the recipe.
Make ahead: This Houston’s spinach-artichoke dip is super easy to prep before a party. Simply make the dip up to the point of cooking (but do not cook). Place the mixture into an airtight canister and refrigerate a day or two ahead of time. Just before the party, spread the dip into one medium or several smaller dishes to heat before serving.
Is it best to microwave or bake spinach artichoke dip?
The dip can be microwaved or baked. I prefer baking, as the edges get golden and the cheese gets a slightly crisp edge. If you microwave, I suggest cooking at 80% and in 5 minute increments.
What dish do you use for cooking spinach artichoke dip?
This can be made in any bakeware that is oven and microwave safe. Since this dip freezes well, you might also look for bakeware that is freezer safe. I am all about good bakeware that can transition from freezer to oven to table, and I prefer white. It always looks classic and clean on a table. I link to all of my favorite white bakeware here on my amazon page.
What do you serve with spinach artichoke dip?
I serve this with baked pita chips, corn chips (Fritos scoops are great), tortilla chips or savory crackers. For low carb or Keto dieters, this is delicious served with crudités such as cauliflower, celery and carrot discs.
This spinach artichoke dip is one of my most popular recipes. Honorable mention goes to the appetizers listed below.
- French Onion Cheese Fondue
- 3-Ingredient Apricot Glazed Party Meatballs
- Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Crusted Little Sausages
If you have an upcoming party, small group or tailgate, give this dip a try. I’d love to hear how it turns out, so please leave comments below. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 2 cartons frozen chopped spinach
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14-oz) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick butter
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8-oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used Pepper Jack)
- 4-oz shredded Swiss cheese
- 4-oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz shredded fresh parmesan cheese (no green can:-)
- Cook and drain spinach; squeezing well until all water is completely removed.
- Melt butter in large skillet; saute onion until tender.
- Add garlic to onion mixture.
- Stir spinach and artichokes into sautÃ©ed onion mixture, mixing well.
- Beat cream cheese with mixer, gradually adding whipping cream until smooth.
- In large bowl, stir all ingredients (except parmesan cheese) together until well blended.
- Put in microwave safe baking dish or oven safe baking dish.
- Refrigerate at least two hours.
- Top with parmesan and microwave until warm or bake at 350 F until bubbly (20 minutes or so).
- Serve with baked pita, tortilla chips, or corn chips.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 12
Amount Per ServingCalories 327Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 84mgSodium 479mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 14g