Canned salmon salad is the perfect summer recipe! It can be made ahead, requires no cooking, and is so healthy and refreshing. Plus, it is also budget-friendly!
If you are looking for an affordable, healthy twist on the classic tuna salad, this recipe is for you! Canned salmon salad is packed with omega-3 fats which promote heart health AND is rich in protein so it will keep you feeling full and energized. Even those who shy away from anything “fishy” tasting will approve of this dish!
Is Canned Salmon As Healthy As Fresh Salmon?
Contrary to what you may think, there are no real differences in the health benefits of canned salmon and fresh salmon. In fact, some studies show that canned salmon has higher levels of heart-healthy omega-3 fats!
How Do I Season Canned Salmon?
The secret to this recipe is all in the seasoning! Even the pickiest eaters will be reaching for another scoop of this canned salmon salad. Here are my “savvy tips” that make this recipe both light and irresistible!
- Greek yogurt – This recipe calls for half mayo and half plain Greek yogurt for a lighter -but no less creamy- dressing. I love to use 2% Fage Greek yogurt!
- Lemon pepper seasoning – Tangy lemon complements any type of seafood, and the bright, peppery flavor of this seasoning brings all the flavors together in this dish!
- Wickles relish – This is my FAVORITE relish ever! It adds a nice crunchy texture to the salad.
- Dill relish – Like lemon, dill always goes well with seafood. By using dill relish, you are getting the flavor of the dill with added crunch from the relish!
- Chopped celery and red onion – Finely chopped celery and red onion add textural dimension to the dish and the red onion packs a punch of flavor.
- Dijon mustard – I use half plain yellow mustard and half dijon mustard because I love the spicy taste and creamy texture of the dijon mustard.
Does Canned Salmon Salad Taste “Fishy”?
If the thought of canned salmon scares you a little, fear not! Even those who shy away from anything “fishy” tasting will love this refreshing dish. The creamy, tangy dressing balances all the flavors, and the lemon pepper seasoning complements the fish very well. This canned salmon salad has a very mild flavor- my family could not even tell the difference between this and my tuna salad recipe!
Are There Bones in Canned Salmon?
Just like fresh salmon, canned salmon does contain bones. However, they are so soft and small that there is no need to take them out! You will just get an extra dose of calcium! Of course, if you prefer to take out the bones, just pick them out after taking the salmon out of the can.
Health Benefits of Canned Salmon:
Canned salmon is a great food to incorporate into your diet and has so many health benefits! It is chock-full of protein, vitamin D, calcium, and omega-3 fats. Here are just a few of the benefits that come with eating canned salmon:
- Vitamin D supports healthy muscles.
- Vitamin D and calcium protect healthy bones and teeth.
- Calcium and omega-3 fats support a healthy heart.
- Omega-3 fats prevent arthritis, protect against Alzheimer’s and dementia, and studies have even shown that they lower the risk of depression.
How Can I Serve Canned Salmon Salad?
This salmon salad recipe is so versatile! It is perfect to make ahead for lake days, a quick lunch, or a heart-healthy snack. After you make the salad, let it chill in the fridge for one to two hours so the flavors can meld together. You can serve this in lettuce cups for a low-carb Keto-friendly option. Additionally, canned salmon salad is also delicious served with crackers, pita chips, or on a sandwich. I even like to eat it straight from the bowl by itself!
Watch Me Make Canned Salmon Salad:
If you like this recipe, or if you prefer tuna salad to salmon salad, be sure to try my best tuna salad or my zesty tuna salad! For more salmon recipes, check out my best salmon of your life or my skillet-fried salmon patties with canned salmon.
Let me know how you like to serve this canned salmon salad in the comments below. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 can of salmon (I prefer Bumble Bee pink canned salmon!)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I love Fage 2% fat yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon relish (My favorite is Wickles relish!)
- 1 tablespoon dill relish
- 1/2 teaspoon plain yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (about 1 rib)
- 1/4 cup red onion
1. Drain the salmon. I like to save the liquid to put over my dog's food! They love the flavor and it keeps their coat super soft!
2. Break up the salmon into smaller chunks and season it with lemon pepper and kosher salt. Mix to combine.
3. To make the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, wickles relish, dill relish, yellow mustard, and dijon mustard in a bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Add the dressing, celery, and red onion to the salmon. Mix thoroughly.
5. Chill for one to two hours to allow the flavors to meld thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!