Need soft butter fast? Here’s how to soften butter in seconds without using a microwave!
While making a batch of chocolate chip cookies, you realize halfway through the recipe (which calls for softened butter) that you forgot to set the butter out ahead of time. What’s the simplest solution? (Hint: it’s not the microwave:-)
Although most of us have and often do microwave butter to soften it, that is actually risky. The microwave heats from the inside out; thus, butter often melts in the middle and falls into a melted mess when placed in a bowl. Unfortunately, this won’t bode well for the recipe, and the cookies are likely to spread out in flat discs on the baking sheet.
Fortunately, softening butter to the *perfect consistency can be easily done in just a few seconds~no microwave needed. Other than the butter itself, you’ll need only two tools: a mallet (or rolling pin) and waxed or parchment paper. I took photos the last time I softened butter. It is so easy, and there is no risk of melting!
* Butter is perfectly softened when you press it with a finger and it leaves a dent. When you use the mallet method, it will actually be pliable and bendable.
Give this a try the next time you have a recipe calling for softened butter. Resist the temptation to nuke it and give this “whack it” technique a try!
I love hearing from readers, so please comment and email with any thoughts or feedback. Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
Soften Butter in Seconds Without Using a Microwave
What you’ll need:
- butter (however much called for in recipe)
- meat mallet
- waxed or parchment paper
- Unwrap butter from packaging.
- Place butter between two sheets of waxed or parchment paper.
- Pound butter with soft side of mallet until flat~roughly 10 whacks:-)