Katelyn House has been living with type one diabetes since she was diagnosed at age seven. This week she shared what it has been like to grow up with type one diabetes, what her life is like now, and how her life has changed for the better because of her service dog, Mayer.
Episode At A Glance:
This week on The SavvyCast, Katelyn House shared the ins and outs of her journey with type 1 diabetes. Katelyn discussed the struggles of growing up with diabetes, as well as her desire to help others with diabetes feel seen and understood. Additionally, she shared how her service dog Mayer has changed her day-to-day life. Mayer even makes a special appearance in this episode!
Who Is Katelyn House?
At age seven, Katelyn House was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes due to a virus she experienced. Katelyn’s brother was also diagnosed just ten months later. Since then she has experienced the ups and downs of this health journey. Katelyn graduated from Alabama with a degree in Human Development and is living an incredibly full and vibrant life. In addition to advocating for others with diabetes, Katelyn recently launched her own blog!
Questions We Answered In This Episode:
- When were you diagnosed with type 1 diabetes?
- How did you become diabetic?
- What is the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
- Why did you decide to get a service dog?
- If someone wants a service dog but cannot afford one, what do you recommend?
- What benefits do you experience by having your service dog, Mayer?
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Katelyn’s blog
- Off-Leash Dog Training
- The Complete K-9 Dog Training
- Camp Kudzu, a camp in Georgia for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Camp Needles In The Pines, a summer camp in North Caroline for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Dr. Maria Hella
I hope you enjoyed this episode! As always, if you have time to rate, review and subscribe to The SavvyCast on iTunes, it would be SO appreciated!!! Blessings to you!!!
If you like this podcast, check these out: