These succulent, tender, sweet & spicy glazed Instant Pot BBQ chicken thighs will convert even die-hard “white meat only” folks.
Of all the chicken recipes I’ve made lately, these Instant Pot BBQ chicken thighs are a current favorite. They are crazy easy to make, and they are so much more tender and moist than the typical oven baked chicken.
One of my daughters has always refused to eat dark meat, but she ate half of on of these thighs before she knew it wasn’t a breast. She admitted that it was delicious, and said that the flavor and texture of the meat reminded her of my baby back ribs. If you love ribs, check out my post: 3 Kick Butt Ways to Make Fab Baby Back Ribs.
Now back to chicken. I’ve made this Instant Pot BBQ chicken with breasts (bone-in/skin-on as well as boneless skinless) and thighs (bone-in/skin-on), and hands down the thighs are better. The breast meat is neither as tender nor as flavorful as the thigh meat, but for those who just won’t eat dark meat, by all means use breasts.
BBQ sauce is strictly to your preference. I use equal parts Dreamland BBQ sauce (spicy) with Bob Gibson’s or another sweet leaning BBQ sauce.
Tools I used: For all the tools that I used to make these Instant Pot BBQ chicken thighs, simply click on and scroll through the images below. (FYI~I noticed that the Macy’s Instant Pot is currently 30% off with code 3DAY.)
These Instant Pot BBQ chicken thighs are perfect for a quick & easy weeknight meal. When I made these yesterday, I served them with Mississippi green beans, roasted zucchini & yellow squash, and Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes. Easy and delish!
Let me know if you try the chicken; I’d love to hear what you think (and especially if you convert a “white meat only” family member:-)
As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 4-5 pounds chicken thighs, skin-on and bone-in
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use frozen)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce divided inro 1/2 cup portions (use your favorite brand)
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil; adjust oven rack to upper middle.
- Cover baking sheet with foil; place baking grid on top and spray with oil.
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot.
- Press the SAUTE key on the I.P. and allow oil to heat for 1 minute.
- Add onion; sautÃ© for 1 minute.
- Add garlic; sautÃ© for another minute or two or until onion and garlic are tender.
- Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce to IP; stir.
- Add chicken thighs, meaty side facing up, to the IP.
- Press CANCEL to stop SAUTE; cover IP and lock lid (set valve to sealing).
- Press MANUAL and set to HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
- When IP timer beeps, allow chicken to stay in the IP as pressure releases.
- When pressure goes down (about 30 minutes), release any remaining pressure and open lid.
- With slotted spoon,carefully lift thighs from IP and place onto baking grid.
- With pastry brush, slather remaining 1/2 cup BBQ sauce onto thighs.
- Broil chicken for 2-3 minutes or until glaze is set.
- Turn off oven; leave thighs in until ready to eat, adding more sauce if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17618 Total Fat: 924g Carbohydrates: 3199g Protein: 605g