This Instant Pot vegetable soup is quick and easy to make, loaded with vegetables and nutrients, and chock full of savory, spicy flavor.
This Instant Pot vegetable soup is a family favorite at our house. The kids love it because it is delicious, and I feel great serving them something so full of vegetables and nutrients.
This recipe can certainly be made without an Instant Pot. If you prefer the slow cooker version, just click on Grandma Grace’s Vegetable Soup. Both taste equally delicious, but this Instant Pot version comes together in less than 90 minutes as opposed to 7-8 hours. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, I highly recommend giving it a try.
Secret Soup Ingredient: Cabbage is the secret to making this soup so scrumptious and hearty. Better yet, cabbage is a superfood with myriad antioxidants, nutrients, vitamins, and health benefits. Its health benefits are impressive, and this soup is a great way to get a good amount of cabbage onto the family table.
I served this Instant Pot vegetable soup to some friends one night for dinner, and they all had more than one bowl. I served it with a skillet of this pimento cheese cornbread, which is delicious but not in the “healthy” zone. But for a winter splurge, vegetable soup and cornbread is hard to beat.
Vegetables: I use a combo of fresh, canned & frozen vegetables. You can use what you have, but the fresher the better. For potatoes, I always use a Zip & Steam bag to microwave them for 4 minutes on high before adding to the pot with other ingredients. Potatoes always need a little “precook” so that they will cook completely.
Make ahead: Fresh vegetables can be chopped and prepped ahead and refrigerated a day or two ahead. It making and taking this soup to a friend who needs a meal, make it the day before. The flavors actually get better the day after cooking. Leftovers are fabulous; this soup is good for 4-5 days (but likely won’t last that long).
Instant Pot Tips: From my IP experience, here are a few savvy tips for those of you who might be new to IP cooking.
- Make sure the red seal is secure under the IP lid.
- Make sure that the valve is set to “sealing” (not venting) before cooking.
- No hurry? Let the IP release on its own; the soup will stay warm (and just fine) for hours.
- Need soup fast? Once the pressure stops, wait 10 minutes, then do a quick release with the valve. Soup’s on!
In the video below, I walk through the basic steps of making this vegetable soup.
If you try this Instant Pot vegetable soup, I’d love to hear how you liked it. Thanks to Deanna for inviting me to share. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 large can (32 oz) petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can lima beans, drained
- 1 can green beans; drained
- 1 cup diced onion (frozen or fresh)
- 7-8 okra pods, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup white niblet corn, frozen or canned
- 1 cup vegetable soup veggies, frozen
- 6-7 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB bacon fat (optional)
- 2-3 cups V-8 (I use Spicy Hot)
- 8-10 small Yukon gold potatoes, diced (skins can stay on)
- 1/2 head cabbage, sliced and chopped small
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 TB chicken base (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 2 (13 oz) cans chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of sugart
- Microwave potatoes in Steam & Zip bag for 5-6 minutes; set aside.
- Place EVOO and bacon fat in Instant Pot.
- Press saute on Instant pot; allow fat to heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion to IP; saute until tender.
- Add garlic to IP; saute 1 minute.
- Add cabbage;saute for 1 minute or until beginning to wilt.
- Heat 1 cup water to boiling; add bouillon cube. Stir until dissolved.
- Place all vegetables into IP along with broth, spices and other ingredients.
- Press "soup" button on IP (make sure valve is set to "sealing").
- Allow soup to fully cook and to stay in IP during slow release (IP will keep soup warm).
- When ready to serve, release the lid.
- Serve soup with cornbread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1070 Total Fat: 46g Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 6110mg Carbohydrates: 143g Sugar: 71g Protein: 20g