These company worthy keto Kentucky butter strawberry shortcakes are not only low-carb, low-sugar, and gluten-free; they are also decadently delicious!
We had some friends over for dinner a few weeks ago and served these keto Kentucky butter strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Our guests raved over these and were astonished that they were low-sugar, low-carb, and gluten free!
My inspiration for these shortcakes came from the Keto Kentucky butter cake recipe on All Day I Dream About Food~the blog where I also found the recipe for these yummy keto pecan pie squares. If you ever decide to do a Keto, low-carb, or gluten-free diet, this blog is a great place to visit.
Unless you cook Keto regularly, some of the ingredients might be new to you. In the photo above, I show all the ingredients specified in the recipe. I recommend using the ingredients as listed with no substitutions, as Keto baking requires specific ingredients to achieve the right taste/texture.
Swerve: This is the best sweetener I’ve found for baking (although I prefer this brand of stevia for coffee and tea). Swerve measures cup for cup like sugar and can be found in some grocery stores or on amazon.
Tera’s Whey is the protein powder specified in the recipe. I’ve seen it at The Fresh Market near me and also here on amazon.
Bundt pans. I made this Kentucky butter cake in mini bundts; the original recipe is baked in a standard bundt. Cooking time varies based on pan size, so I suggest referring to All Day I Dream About Food if making a full size cake.
This Oxo silicone measuring cup is perfect for drizzling the warm butter sauce over the shortcakes. It can be squeezed into a “spout” and also thrown into the dishwasher. This cup as well as a few other items needed are shown below.
Cook’s note: I used diced fresh strawberries with no added sugar to top these cakes, followed by a generous portion of whipped cream from a can. The butter glaze sweetens these cakes so much that nothing else needs to be sweetened (at least for my taste buds).
I’d LOVE to hear from any of you who try these Keto Kentucky butter shortcakes! Comments are always appreciated:-) As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed, and savvy day!!!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup Swerve Granular
- 5 large eggs room temperature.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp each vanilla, almond & butter extracts)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup water
- BUTTER GLAZE:
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup Swerve Granular
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Spray mini bundt cake pans liberally with floured spray (I use Baker's Joy).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and the sweetener together until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs and extract(s).
- Beat in the almond flour mixture then the whipping cream and water until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the well sprayed bundt pans.
- Bake 30-30 minutes or until cakes are just golden on top.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and sweetener together. Whisk until well combined.
- Whisk in the water and vanilla extract.
- While the cakes are still warm, poke a few holes in tops with toothpicks.
- Pour the glaze over cakes.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3807Total Fat: 359gSaturated Fat: 144gCholesterol: 624mgSodium: 4297mgCarbohydrates: 112gSugar: 16gProtein: 65g