This incredibly easy, insanely delicious lemon poppy seed bundt cake literally bursts with flavor from lemon cake mix, lemon pudding and lemon glaze.
Lemon poppy seed bundt cake is one of my favorite summer desserts and the first cake I make when fresh strawberries are in season. This cake tastes outstanding with fresh berries and freshly whipped cream.
This cake gets huge lemon flavor from lemon cake and pudding mixes, and a fresh lemon glaze. Moist is the name of the game where this cake is concerned, and the novel poppy seed specks add a hint of mild, nutty crunch.
Can poppy seeds cause a positive drug test? Well….they actually can. Even though they are harmless to ingest and won’t induce a “high,” they can affect drug testing. Read about this here. But unless you plan to undergo drug testing for some reason, don’t let this stop you from using these little gems in this delicious cake:-)
Almond Extract: The almond extract adds a wonderful warm, buttery, and slightly nutty flavor to this cake that perfectly complements the lemon and poppy seeds. Cook’s Illustrated recommends Nielsen-Massey pure almond extract and McCormick imitation extract, stating that the difference between the “pure” and “imiatation” were barely distinguishable. The former is more bold and assertive, while the latter mellows a bit more during baking.
- LEMON CAKE:
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 1 (3.4 oz) box instant lemon pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 TB poppy seeds
- 2 tsp almond extract
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice (roughly 1 lemon)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spray bundt pan with floured cooking spray (I use Baker's Joy).
- Put cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil & eggs in a bowl.
- Mix with hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium high; mix for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in almond extract and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Spoon batter into bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Stir confectioner's sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Set aside.
- When cake is done, allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully invert cake onto plate covered with parchment.
- Allow to cool before glazing.
- Once cool, pour glaze over cake.
- Refrigerate or place in freezer for half an hour to "firm up" glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g