Serve this fres cranberry-jalapeño salsa with sweet potato chips at your holiday gathering; folks will rave!!!
My friend Leslie Register shared this recipe on her blog, Dear Party Diary, and I bookmarked and made it for Thanksgiving with family. It was SO delicious! It was a fresh, healthy way to enjoy cranberries, and the vibrant cranberry salsa in a purple cabbage bowl was perfectly lovely.
Leslie lives in Birmingham and authored one of my new favorite cookbooks, Leslie’s Party Diaries. Her book is a treasure for those who want a guide for party planning, hospitality and entertaining~Southern style. I’ve bookmarked dozens of recipes and have also gleaned myriad tips on making party planning less stressful.!
Note: The juice from the salsa is plentiful and very bold in color; it will stain clothing, napkins, etc….be forewarned! I let my salsa sit in a strainer for an hour or so before placing it into the cabbage bowl to drain excess.
This cranberry- jalapeño salsa is wonderful served with sweet potato chips. It can also be spooned onto the plate and served alongside turkey. It is a much fresher, healthier alternative to jellied cranberry sauce.
In the video below, I show exactly how I make this yummy dish from start to finish. Note: I decided from now on to use a regular bowl for the salsa rather than a cabbage bowl. This is neater, and also easier. My bowl is a Beatrix Ball white melamine. Here is one similar that I am actually planning to order for myself:-)
If you try this recipe, I’d know you’ll love it. For more fabulous recipes like this one, I highly recommend Leslie’s Party Diaries!
And please visit our Family Savvy storefront to see my amazon faves and must-haves for you, your home and your loved ones.
As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed and savvy holiday and year to come!!!
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Juice of 3 limes
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dash of hot sauce
- Purple cabbage, for serving
- Sweet potato chips
- Place cranberries in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until cranberries are evenly and finely chopped, scraping down sides of the bowl once.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine chopped cranberries and next 8 ingredients. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, and up to 2 weeks.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve in purple cabbage (see Learn from Leslie, below) with sweet potato chips
- Tips from Leslie: To serve in a cabbage bowl, carefully remove the outer, dark leaves. With a knife remove a small amount of the bottom of the cabbage so it will sit evenly. Then cut a circle around the top edge, and hollow out a portion for the salsa.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g