Serve this fres cranberry-jalapeño salsa with sweet potato chips at your holiday gathering; folks will rave!!!
My friend Leslie Register shared this recipe on her blog, Dear Party Diary, and I bookmarked and made it for Thanksgiving with family. It was SO delicious! It was a fresh, healthy way to enjoy cranberries, and the vibrant cranberry salsa in a purple cabbage bowl was perfectly lovely.
Leslie lives in Birmingham and authored one of my new favorite cookbooks, Leslie’s Party Diaries. Her book is a treasure for those who want a guide for party planning, hospitality and entertaining~Southern style. I’ve bookmarked dozens of recipes and have also gleaned myriad tips on making party planning less stressful.!
Note: The juice from the salsa is plentiful and very bold in color; it will stain clothing, napkins, etc….be forewarned! I let my salsa sit in a strainer for an hour or so before placing it into the cabbage bowl to drain excess.
This cranberry- jalapeño salsa is wonderful served with sweet potato chips. It can also be spooned onto the plate and served alongside turkey. It is a much fresher, healthier alternative to jellied cranberry sauce.
In the video below, I show exactly how I make this yummy dish from start to finish. Note: I decided from now on to use a regular bowl for the salsa rather than a cabbage bowl. This is neater, and also easier. My bowl is a Beatrix Ball white melamine. Here is one similar that I am actually planning to order for myself:-)
If you try this recipe, I’d know you’ll love it. For more fabulous recipes like this one, I highly recommend Leslie’s Party Diaries! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you a joyful, blessed and savvy holiday and year to come!!!
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Juice of 3 limes
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dash of hot sauce
- Purple cabbage, for serving
- Sweet potato chips
- Place cranberries in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until cranberries are evenly and finely chopped, scraping down sides of the bowl once.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine chopped cranberries and next 8 ingredients. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, and up to 2 weeks.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve in purple cabbage (see Learn from Leslie, below) with sweet potato chips
- Tips from Leslie: To serve in a cabbage bowl, carefully remove the outer, dark leaves. With a knife remove a small amount of the bottom of the cabbage so it will sit evenly. Then cut a circle around the top edge, and hollow out a portion for the salsa.
Amount Per Serving Calories 89 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 16mg Carbohydrates 22g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 16g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 1g