This episode of The SavvyCast is a Q & A with Congressman Gary Palmer, who answers questions from Family Savvy followers on topics from politics, current events, the election, and more.
Who is Gary Palmer?
Gary Palmer grew up in Hackleburg, Alabama, and was the first on either side of his family to attend college. He attended the University of Alabama, where he was a walk-on member of the football team under legendary coach Bear Bryant.
Gary worked in the private sector for 12 years before involvement with Focus on the Family led him to start the Alabama Family Alliance which later became the Alabama Policy Institute.
Gary served as President of the Alabama Policy Institute for 24 years. In 2014, he was elected to the 114th Congress, having never served in office before. He represents Alabama’s 6th Congressional District. He and his wife Ann reside in Hoover and are the parents of three grown children.
Q & A with Gary Palmer
In the podcast, Gary answers questions submitted by Family Savvy Instagram followers and podcast listeners. The questions he addresses are below.
- What was your path to becoming a congressman?
- Do you live in a group house in DC with other members of Congress? I’ve heard that is common.
- You served during the Obama administration and now the Trump administration. How have these been different? How have they been similar? Has there been more tension during the Trump administration, or has it been the same as always?
- Do you feel that elections are generally fair and accurate with mail-in voting?
- What would our country look like if Biden is President? How would our country look like if Trump is re-elected?
- How has COVID changed the US and will we ever recover (will things ever be “normal” again)? How has COVID affected businesses and are we close to a vaccine?
- How will our right to bear arms be affected in the future?
- What are the best ways to get involved to make a difference on the local level? What is the best way for us as citizens to make a change?
- What are some specific ways that we can help affect races in the swing states?
- What would you say to good people who are scared or wary to put themselves out there and serve in a political position?
- Who is your favorite person “on the other side of the aisle?” Who is someone you think has character, even though you don’t see eye-to-eye with them?
Resources Related to this Podcast:
To receive Gary’s weekly devotionals, submit your request and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.