Mimi’s Old Faithful Lasagna uses egg noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella and a savory meat sauce to make a delicious, crowd pleasing dish that is also make ahead and freezer friendly.
I served Mimi’s Old Faithful Lasagna this week at our young marrieds’ small group, and to say that it was a hit is an understatement. Most went back for seconds (some thirds), and raved over how yummy it was. More than one person commented that it was the best lasagna they’d ever eaten.
This recipe is from Leslie Byars Register, who wrote one of my favorite cookbooks, Leslie’s Party Diaries. It is a collection of recipes for entertaining (crowd pleasers), tips for glitch-free party hosting, and party ideas for all ages and various holidays. This book would make a fabulous gift for anyone who loves to cook and entertain.
The recipe for Mimi’s Old Faithful Lasagna was left out (accidentally) of the cookbook, but Leslie shared it on her blog, Dear Party Diary.
Mimi’s Old Faithful Lasagna is so much easier to make than the versions calling for lasagna noodles. Egg noodles complement the dish without making it too pasta heavy. The meat and cheeses really stand out in this dish.
Make ahead: I made the meat sauce ahead of time and froze it. The day before our group dinner, I assembled the dish and placed it in the fridge until ready to bake the next day.
Thankfully, Leslie shared photos of her dish styled beautifully in nice serve wear. The photos of Mimi’s lasagna pictured here are hers. For small group, I made this (doubled) in a huge aluminum pan. Not pretty, but that’s how we roll on small group night:-)
In the short video below, I share how easy it is to assemble the dish before baking. I made a double portion of the recipe as shared below.
We loved Mimi’s Old Faithful Lasagna so much that I am making and freezing it for the holidays when all my girls are home from college. It is definitely a new favorite recipe.
For more of Leslie’s fabulous recipes, visit her blog Dear Party Diary. It is wonderful. If you try this recipe, please let me hear from you in the comments of the post. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 Â½ pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Â½ cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes, petite diced
- 1 Â½ teaspoons salt
- Â¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Â¼ teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 12 ounces sliced or shredded mozzarella
- 1-pound carton cottage cheese, small curd
- 8-ounce package egg noodles, narrow or medium width
- Â½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, brown and crumble ground beef.
- Drain beef, then return it to the skillet.
- Add next 7 ingredients; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a 3-quart greased baking dish, alternate layers of noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and meat sauce.
- Repeat layers in this order, ending with the meat sauce.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and add Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake an additional 20 minutes or longer until hot and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4415 Total Fat: 264g Saturated Fat: 118g Cholesterol: 1018mg Sodium: 9001mg Carbohydrates: 222g Sugar: 46g Protein: 294g