This Paleo seafood chowder recipe is super easy, loaded with flavor, and a hit with my family (none of whom practice Paleo).
Last summer, my friend Barb brought a huge pot of this paelo seafood chowder to the lake for our families to enjoy. It was such a hit, that I got the recipe from her immediately.
I was a bit afraid that the coconut oil would be obvious or overpowering in this soup, but it wasn’t. Although I could detect a hint of it, it wasn’t at all off-putting. The saltiness of the bacon and the added salt in the broth and seasoning gave perfect balance to the sweet coconut flavor.
Cook’s Note: market quality bacon makes a nice difference in the flavor and of this soup. I buy applewood smoked from The Fresh Market. It is expensive but amazingly good.
Once this chowder is cooked, it can be kept in a slow cooker on warm. It will stay ready to eat but won’t continue cooking (which would make the seafood tough).
I’d love to hear back from those of you who try this, so feel free to leave comments. Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (or 1 heaping cup frozen)
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup clam juice (Bar Harbor is Cook's Illustrated recommended)
- 1 can (10 oz) clams, drained
- 1 pound raw shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- In large Dutch oven or soup pot, sautÃ© onion in coconut oil.
- Add diced bacon; cook until bacon is crispy.
- Add diced celery and sweet potatoes; sautÃ© for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, broth, clam juice, black pepper and bay leaf; bring to a simmer.
- Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Mash the potatoes gently, leaving some larger chunks. (This thickens the chowder.)
- Add shrimp; cook five minutes longer.
- Add clams; simmer 3 more minutes.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1613Total Fat 114gSaturated Fat 94gCholesterol 671mgSodium 6895mgCarbohydrates 36gSugar 2gProtein 116g