Paper bag apple pie is a yummy apple pie with a pastry AND streusel crust~baked to perfection in a brown paper bag.
My cousin Angela in Nashville shared this recipe with me years ago, and it has been my favorite apple pie ever since. I’ve never made it that it hasn’t turned out perfectly baked and absolutely yummy.
Traditional apple pie often turns out with an unevenly baked crust. This paper bag apple pie is different. The bottom crust is pastry (store bought) and the top crust is streusel. Baking the pie in a sealed paper bag protects the crust from burning and yields a perfect crust every time.
- APPLE PIE
- 2 1/2 pounds apples (Granny Smith work best)
- 1 pie crust (I use Pillsbury refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 TB flour
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 stick butter, cut into tiny pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll pie crust; place in bottom of deep dish pie pan.
- Peel, core, and dice apples into bite size pieces; toss with lemon juice.
- Mix sugar, flour & cinnamon until blended.
- Toss apples with sugar, flour & cinnamon mixture.
- Place apples in pie pan.
- Mix sugar & flour until blended well.
- Add butter pieces; cut with fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of apples in pie pan.
- Place pie inside a brown grocery bag; roll up and seal edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees for one hour.
Amount Per Serving Calories 355 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 172mg Carbohydrates 55g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 34g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 2g
(Photo~King Arthur Flour.)