This rich, decadent, super moist petite coconut cake with cream cheese frosting makes a stunning and elegant dessert for a small gathering.
I abolutely love this petite coconut cake with cream cheese frosting! It is moist, decadent, and SO lovely on my small jadite cake stand. It looks so good with my holiday decor, I really don’t want to eat it:-)
The “petite” is a bit misleading. Although this cake is smaller than a traditional cake, stacking three 6-inch pans yields a towering, elegant cake that is absolutely gorgeous. It is petite, but it packs an aesthetic punch due to its shape and size:-)
A few special tools are key to making this elegant, intimate sized petite coconut cake with cream cheese frosting. Most cakes are made in 8″ or 9″ cake pans and serve 8 to 10. This petite cake is made with 6″ cake pans and serves roughly 5 to 7.
What you’ll need to make this cake are 3 6-inch cake pans. I purchased mine (Fat Dadio) at Bed Bath & Beyond. Mine, along with Wilton and a few other brands, are available here on amazon.. I called around town before heading to B.B.Beyond. This size is hard to find, and the only craft store that carried 6-inch was Michael’s (and they only had two in stock when I called).
You will definitely want to get 6-inch cake boards if you make this cake. Simply place the layers atop one cake round to frost (atop a counter or table). When done, the cardboard cake layer makes it easy to pick up the frosted cake to transfer to the cake stand.
I am obessed with my jadite cake stand. Guess where it came from? Wal-Mart!!!! Yes, that’s right. It is a Pioneer Woman made for Wal-Mart design, and I LOVE it. There is a regular size in this line, but I bought the 6-inch to make smaller cakes. It looks just like the jadite/Martha Stewart/milk glass items you’ll find in antique shops and boutiques. It has a glass dome lid, which is another great selling point. #justsaynotodrycake
Make ahead: This is super easy to make ahead. I made the cake layers, wrapped in freezer bags, and froze them. Today, I pulled them out and frosted them (I made the frosting this morning). Super duper easy!! Since the layers NEED to be frozen while frosting to avoid tearing the cake, this is a perfect make ahead dessert.
I’ll be searching for more “petite cake” recipes to make and serve on my jadite cake stand, so stay tuned to future posts! If you try this, do let me hear how you like it!! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- COCONUT CAKE:
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut-flavored rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (8-oz) block cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 pound (1 3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- COCONUT CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Spray 3 (6" cake pans) liberally with Baker's Joy.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, beat until combined.
- Add egg, sour cream, coconut milk, coconut extract, and vanilla; beat until just combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Fold in toasted coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Flip cake pans over atop parchment or wax paper; cool until cakes fall from pans.
- Freeze cake layers until ready to assemble and frost.
- Frost frozen cake layers and allow to come to room temp before serving.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Bring butter and cream cheese to room temp.
- Mix on high speed of electric mixer until smooth.
- Add extracts; beat until combined.
- Add confectioners' sugar gradually, mixing until smooth.
- Spread evenly over frozen cake layers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 26 Total Fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 1g