Pretty serving pieces are a hostess’s best friend, making it super easy to throw a lovely party where food looks fab and guests feel honored!
Any time you invite people into your home, you are being a hostess. Any time you serve food to your guests, you are being a hostess. Whether you cook the food yourself or buy it already made, pretty serving pieces can take your presentation to a whole new level.
Although hostessing is first and foremost about fellowship (not showing off your home or your “stuff”), it is just as easy to present food on pretty serving pieces as it is to put it on paper plates. And buying a few pretty serving pieces here and there is a smart investment, as you’ll use them over and over again and always be prepared for a party!
Each person has his or her own style for serving pieces~from rustic stoneware to delicate porcelain to modern whites and beyond. My personal style is lots of white~natural stone especially~accented in gold. I’ll share some of my fave pieces today and where to find them if this is up your alley:-)
Basic Serving Pieces You’ll Use Again & Again:
- Cake Plates. One large cake plate will fit most any 10″ cake. Smaller cake plates are great for showcasing cookies, candies, cupcakes, or miniature desserts.
- Bowls. If you splurge on pretty serving pieces, a salad bowl is a wise choice that you’ll definitely use. Smaller bowls are also great for nuts, candies, sugar cubes, etc…..
- Marble or stone slabs: You can use natural stone slabs of all shapes and sizes in myriad ways. I use mine for a cheese board and coffee station. I have one that I LOVE that perfectly fits my fabulous pound cake.
- Coffee serving pieces & salt & pepper servers: If you ever serve coffee, it looks so much nicer to put the cream & sugar in pretty pieces. The same for salt & pepper….which you reach for every day.
- Serving utensils: These are a must have for any dinner party. I suggest at least one pair of tongs, at least one set of salad servers, and several large spoons, forks, and knives.
Some Pretty Serving Pieces In My Collection
Ursula from Anthropologie:
I bought the Ursula serving bowl for my friend Debra for her birthday last November and bought one for myself yesterday (it is currently on sale at Anthro). I love this bowl! Deb has used it to serve salad and to display decorative items in her living room. It is capiz shell, so it must be washed immediately after used to serve food.
Since Antrho had all home items on sale for 20% off, I purchased all of the Ursula serving pieces. Since I do entertain quite often, I’ll definitely put these to good use. The Ursula pieces are linked to below, and possibly are still on sale online and in store at Anthro.
Marble & Stone Serving Pieces:
This photo shows some of my serving pieces for our Easter lunch dessert. I snapped this photo in a hurry, so my serving utensils and fresh flowers aren’t in the pic:-).
This rectangular gold etched tray is my FAVE find of the year! . It looks like white marble (but is actually sandstone) and is etched in 22 karat gold.
A smaller version of a gold etched serving piece is the gorgeous agate cheese board from Anthro. It was on sale yesterday and may still be today.
All the products are listed below:
These are hands down a must-have in any hostess’s serving piece arsenal. A few pretty serving utensils can make your table more elegant and are a perfect complement to your pretty serving pieces.
I especially love spoons and tongs and can’t seem to get enough. Tongs are especially useful muti-taskers, good for serving salad or picking up sliced meat, rolls, baked desserts, and more. #anythingaforkcandotongscadobetter
Don’t forget a large scoop (great for ice) and several bowls or shakers for salt & pepper. You literally can not have too many salts & peppers. Seriously, who besides me has been running CRAY at a party trying to get everything done and that one person comes up and asks where is the salt? Nip that in the bud before it happens. #aintnobodygottimeforthat
As of yesterday (and I think through the weekend) Anthro has 20% off of full priced home. I took advantage of the sale and bought some items in store and some online exclusives. Check them all out below.
Some more photos are below, and I link to all items in the photos (along with some similar) at the end of the post. I hope this is helpful to those of you who might be in need of a few “pretty serving pieces.” I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments. If you find some great pieces, share with the rest of us:-) As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!