A Favorite Foodie Friend (and Author): Sophie Hudson
Sophie Hudson, joins The SavvyCast to talk about Southern cooking, her Grace Upon Grace devotional, and her must-have Thanksgiving side (and recipe).
Episode At A Glance:
This week, Sophie Hudson joined The SavvyCast to discuss her new journaling devotional Grace Upon Grace. Sophie is an author and host of The Big Boo Cast. This book was written with older teenage girls in mind, due to Sophie’s experience working with high school girls at Briarwood Christian High School. Sophie shares how to connect with young girls in a way that makes them feel safe and understood. She explains that she never goes into these relationships expecting to change the girls because that is the job of the Holy Spirit. Sophie is not only a talented writer and mentor, but is a fabulous cook! We discussed our Thanksgiving must-haves, as well as some recipes we come back to every year.
Questions We Answered In This Episode:
- What is Sophie’s new book, Grace Upon Grace, about?
- What inspired Sophie to write Grace Upon Grace?
- How do you form relationships with younger or high-school-aged girls?
- As a parent, how can you create a safe space for your child?
- What do you have to have on your Thanksgiving table?
Ouida's Squash Casserole
- 10-12 medium-large squash
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped in large chunks
- 1 cup chicken stock (optional)
- 2 Tbs. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ grated cheese (freshly grated is best)
- 1 ½ cups Cheez-its, crushed
- Chop squash and onion. Put in Dutch oven and cover with water and chicken stock. Add salt, pepper, sugar, and 2 Tbs. of butter. Bring to a boil and then simmer about 20 minutes - until squash is fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 375. Drain cooked squash/onion in a colander and use a potato masher or spoon to mash out as much water as possible. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine squash/onion with cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and remaining butter. Mix well. Taste to adjust salt/pepper, then add beaten eggs.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes (you want a tiny bit of brown around the edges), then top with crushed Cheez-its and bake for 5 more minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Grace Upon Grace
- Microsoft “To-Do” app for groceries
Connect With Sophie Hudson:
- Sophie’s website Boomama.net
- The Big Boo Cast
- Sophie’s Instagram @boomama205
I hope you enjoyed this episode! As always, if you have time to rate, review and subscribe to The SavvyCast on iTunes, it would be SO appreciated!!! Blessings to you!!!
If you like this podcast, check these out:
Let’s Talk: Home Cooking Tips, Tricks, and Advice
A Favorite Foodie Friend: K Marie Kitchen