My recipe for Southern potato salad is a traditional version (with a few tweaks) that is a perfect accompaniment to BBQ meats or fried chicken.
Whenever I serve BBQ, my menu always includes this Southern potato salad. Where I grew up (in North Alabama), BBQ always included sides of baked beans, vinegar based slaw, and Southern potato salad. It’s just how we did BBQ~so that’s how I do it today!
Southern potato salad isn’t difficult to make, and it tastes as good or better than what you’d buy at a BBQ restaurant. I served this at our young married couples’ small group last week, and one of the young husbands told me how much he loved this potato salad. He said he liked the “crunchy things” and the tangy flavor:-)
Southern potato salad is always mayonnaise based, but it doesn’t have to taste overwhelmingly so. The relish (especially Wickles brand) and the mustards add a great kick that offsets an overly eggy or mayonaissey (my word) flavor.
The pickle relish & diced celery are key to the unique texture of this potato salad. They add a slight crunch that it very appealing to those of us who like a bit of “heft” in potato salad.
Potatoes: I use red potatoes and leave the skins on (they are very delicate). You can certainly use russets for this recipe, but this would require peeling the rough skins either before or after cooking.
Make ahead: I prefer making the entire potato salad a day before serving. I don’t do this in stages, as I prefer adding the dressing to the potatoes while they are warm. I’ve done this with cold potatoes, and I don’t think the flavors turn out as well.
I hope you’ll give this Southern potato salad a try the next time you serve BBQ or good old fried chicken:-) If so, please let me hear what you think. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 TB honey mustard
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish (I use Wickles relish)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 5 hard boiled eggs; finely diced and seasoned with salt & pepper
- sale & pepper to taste
- paprika (sprinkle on top to add color)
- Place whole potatoes in a tall sided pan; cover with 1/2" water.
- Bring to a rolling boil; reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes pierce easily with a fork.
- Remove potatoes from heat; drain and dice into equal cubes when cool to the touch. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix mayo, mustards, relish & onion powder until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- POTATO SALAD:
- In large bowl, place diced potatoes, celery, onion, and diced eggs; gently mix to combine ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the ingredients; mix gently to evenly distribute dressing.
- Sprinkle with paprika & celery seed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 746Total Fat: 55gCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 19g