Easy Old Fashioned Hamburger Vegetable Soup
This easy old fashioned hamburger vegetable soup is delicious, comfort food in a bowl and is always best eaten with saltines or cornbread.
It’s been ridiculously cold this week, so I decided to make some vegetable beef soup. This soup is a “cousin” of my Spicy Hamburger Vegetable Soup but is a bit quicker to throw together and not quite as spicy.
Note: I use College Inn Bold Stock tender beef broth, which is recommended by Cook’s Illustrated based on their taste tests. The other recommended beef broth was Rachael Ray Stock-in-a-Box all natural beef flavored broth.
The perfect addition to this soup is this Jalapeño Pimento Cheese Cornbread or your favorite cornbread. This keeps well for a day or two in the fridge, and leftovers are just as good or better since flavors have time to meld.
Hope you and your family enjoy this! Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
Vegetable Beef Soup
Savory and delicious, this vegetable beef soup is just what the doctor ordered on a chilly day (or any day for that matter)!
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil~EVOO
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large (11 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 large (32 oz) carton Beef Broth
- 1 package frozen vegetable soup mix veggies
- 1 bag frozen white niblet corn (or 1 can white niblet corn)
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
- 2 cups V-8 juice (more if needed for desired consistency)
- 1/2 Cup frozen baby lima beans (or 1 can baby lima beans, drained)
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp each oregano & basil)
- Heat EVOO in large skillet or enamel Dutch oven.
- Brown ground chuck and onion; drain fat.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic salt, Worcestershire, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning), mixing into meat well.
- Add all other ingredients, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer on stovetop (or transfer to slow cooker).
- Simmer on stovetop 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cook on low in slow cooker 4-5 hours.
- Serve with cornbread.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 244Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 61mgSodium 488mgCarbohydrates 11gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 4gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 21g