The best vinegar slaw to serve with barbecue pork, beef or chicken has no mayo~and tastes great piled high atop the meat for a perfect BBQ sandwich!!
Growing up in North Alabama, I cut my teeth on some of the best BBQ in the world, and it was always served with what I call “Vinegar Slaw for BBQ.” If you grew up where I did, you’ve likely had vinegar slaw for BBQ more times than you can count. It is sweet, tangy, vinegary and just perfect for smoked meat, especially chopped pork.
Make ahead: Since this slaw is vinegar based and has no mayo, it will keep up to 3 weeks in the fridge. I’ve never had it last longer than a few days, but it tastes just as good or better a few days after making.
Cabbage: I prefer buying a head of cabbage and chopping it in my Ninja Intellisense food processor. If I don’t have time, I do occasionally buy the prebagged slaw (but don’t like it as well). I did use bagged slaw last week; the image is below on the plate of food.
Dressing: The vinegar dressing is boiled, and there is no skipping this step. The boiling is necessary; otherwise, the sugar crystals won’t dissolve and will be gritty in the slaw.
In the photo above, I made the vinegar slaw for BBQ with pre-bagged slaw. It isn’t as good as freshly chopped slaw, but it will do. I served this with several other recipes, all of which are on the blog. You can link to them below.
- Beef Brisket You Won’t Believe (an oven recipe that mimics smoked)
- French Onion Potato Casserole
- Beale Street Baked Beans
I hope this recipe comes in handy for you if you don’t already have a favorite BBQ slaw. If you try it, please let me hear what you think! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place chopped vegetables in large bowl.
- In saucepan, bring vinegar, oil & sugar to rolling boil.
- Remove from heat; add celery seed, salt, & pepper, stirring well.
- Pour over slaw; mix until well blended.
- Keep covered in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 27 Carbohydrates 6g