This quick and easy wedge salad with tangy buttermilk blue cheese dressing is bursting with flavor and truly company worthy. Serve this with steak + baked potato for a company worthy meal!
What is your favorite side salad when you eat a good steak? Mine has always been anything wedge + bacon + blue cheese. So many flavors wrapped up in one. Smoky bacon. Sharp & salty blue cheese. Tangy buttermilk. These rich and complex flavors make ANY steak better.
A classic wedge salad starts with a wedge of lettuce, typically iceberg or Romaine. Most wedges are topped with red onion, crumbled bacon, and sometimes tomatoes. The crowning jewel of most wedge salads is blue cheese dressing. Since it is the star of the show, it pays to make it from scratch using high quality blue cheese.
Buy a good quality blue cheese. For the dressing, buy a crumbly blue cheese, as it is sharper than creamy blue cheese and also works better for topping the wedge.
Make blue cheese dressing ahead of time. This buttermilk blue cheese dressing develops its best flavor if made and refrigerated 24 hours ahead. This gives the dressing time to settle and flavors to blend.
Prep the wedge salads ahead of time. The plated wedge salads can be prepped early in the day whenever the salad is served. The bacon can be cooked, crumbled and refrigerated early in the day. The lettuce, onion and tomatoes can be washed, prepped, and arranged on individual plates. Just before serving, bacon and dressing can be added.
If you love wedge salad, I hope you’ll give this recipe a try. If so, please let me know what you think. If you have your own version, please share it with us! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- iceberg lettuce cut into wedges
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- tomato, sliced (optional)
- red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste (a pinch of each should suffice)
- 6 oz (roughly 1/2 cup) crumbled firm blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Extra blue cheese for garnish
- Using a whisk or food processor, blend buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Add blue cheese and whisk or blend until cheese is incorporated but slightly chunky (do not fully process the cheese).
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in chives.
- Place lettuce wedges on individual plates.
- Sprinkle with bacon and onion.
- Pour dressing over wedges.
- Sprinkle additional blue cheese on top.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 236Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 30mgSodium 552mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 8g