Nothing complements a great steak better than this wedge salad with buttermilk blue cheese dressing, which is easy to make and out of this world delicious.
Whenever we grill steaks, one of my favorite accompaniments is this wedge salad with buttermilk blue cheese dressing. It is my favorite homemade version of this steakhouse classic salad. I like the buttermilk blue cheese dressing because it is creamy and thick but still “pourable” from a jar. The buttermilk gives the dressing a smooth consistency and tangy rich flavor.
A classic wedge salad starts with a chunk of iceberg or Romaine topped with red onion, crumbled bacon, and sometimes tomatoes. The crowning jewel of most wedge salads is blue cheese dressing. Since it is the star of the show, it pays to make it from scratch using high quality blue cheese.
You can’t go wrong by choosing a Danish or Maytage blue cheese from the deli case of most grocers. Just avoid the temptaion to buy the already crumbled version; it just won’t taste as fresh or have the texture or consistency of freshly crumbled.
Chives and garlic: These fresh additions to the dressing add tons of flavor so don’t leave them out. The chives also add a bit of color and texture.
Make ahead: The dressing should be made and refrigerated 24 hours ahead for flavors to blend. The rest of the salad can be prepped early in the day whenever the salad is served. The bacon can be cooked, crumbled and refrigerated early in the day. The lettuce, onion and tomatoes can be washed, prepped, and arranged on individual plates. Just before serving, bacon and dressing can be added.
If you love wedge salad, I hope you’ll give this recipe a try. If so, please let me know what you think. If you have your own version, please share it with us! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- iceberg lettuce cut into wedges
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- tomato, sliced (optional)
- red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces crumbled firm blue cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Extra blue cheese for garnish
- Blend buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Add blue cheese and pulse until cheese is incorporated but dressing is still slightly chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in chives.
- Place lettuce wedges on individual plates.
- Sprinkle with bacon and onion.
- Pour dressing over wedges.
- Sprinkle additional blue cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1