This Zoe’s Chicken Orzo Soup copycat recipe tastes as good or better than the Zoe’s version, is super easy to make, and costs much less than ordering takeout.
This Zoe’s chicken orzo soup copycat recipe is my version of my family’s favorite soup at Zoe’s Kitchen. It took me several attempts, but this is my final result, and my family approves!
Zoe’s soup is made daily from pulled chicken, orzo pasta, celery, carrots and onion. The seasonings are not specified, but I feel sure that Zoe’s signature Spice of Life seasoning is used.
I LOVE Spice of Life and buy a bottle from Zoe’s every time I am running low. It is a perfect Greek seasoning blend that can be used in soups and on salads, chicken, fish, and anything that you want to season with Greek flavors. If you don’t have access to Zoe’s to buy Spice of Life, Cavendar’s Greek is another good option.
As with any soup, there is lots of wiggle room for personal preference. My family likes lots of flavor, so I have a fairly heavy hand with seasonings & spices. Where soup is concerned, I add lots of different elements to get a deep, complex flavor.
My soup is also a bit thicker than the Zoe’s, but to make it thinner, simply add more broth and seasonings (or less chicken).
Savvy Suggestions: The following products are great to have on hand in the cupboard or freezer to enable you to make soup any time the mood strikes.
- frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh celery and carrots (to chop for soup)
- fresh or frozen chopped onion
- garlic (the Spice Island fresh whole cloves in a jar are wonderful)
- chicken broth (canned Swanson is good; homemade is great)
- orzo, converted white rice, or ditalini pasta
- chicken bouillon cubes (I use Knorr)
- Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- seasonings & spices (kosher salt, ground pepper, Greek seasoning)
The above ingredients can be combined and tweaked to make your own favorite version of this or any other chicken soup. Whether chicken noodle, chicken & rice, chicken orzo, or other, these staples will make a tasty and comforting soup in less than an hour.
I hope you enjoy this soup and would love to hear from you if you try it. Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 onions, diced (or 1 1/2 cup frozen chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- Greek seasoning to taste (I use Cavendar's and Zoe's)
- 1 tsp each sea salt & ground pepper
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- juice of one lemon
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large carton Swanson's chicken broth
- 1 TB Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 cup orzo
- Sprinkle chicken with Greek seasonings. Bake until done. Chop and set aside.
- Heat EVOO in Dutch oven.
- Sauté carrots, celery and onions until tender, adding garlic during the last few minutes.
- Add chicken, broth, lemon juice, sugar, and all seasonings to Dutch oven.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or so, adding one cup orzo at the end.
- Orzo will cook as it sits--no need to boil or simmer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g