This Zoe’s Kitchen chocolate cake copycat recipe was printed years ago in Birmingham News’ Recipe Sleuth column, and it is pretty close to the real thing!
I used this Zoe’s Kitchen chocolate cake copycat recipe to make dessert for our small group last week. I had clipped the recipe years ago but lost it, so I texted my sweet friend Laura Gail who makes this often. She texted me her copy, and I made the cake. It was a huge hit and fed a crowd (with a few pieces left over).
Zoe’s Kitchen chocolate cake is hugely popular, and is sold in individual servings packaged in clear containers which line the checkout area. For catering or special orders, whole or half cakes can be purchased.
The Zoe’s Kitchen chocolate cake has a very soft, smooth consistency that literally drips down the sides of the cake. When I make the recipe at home, I add more confectioner’s sugar to the icing, as I like it to be firmer and “dryer” in consistency.
This cake is super easy to make, stays moist for several days, and freezes beautifully. I always freeze any leftover squares to keep on hand. When a chocolate craving hits, I microwave a piece for about 45 seconds on 60% power, and it tastes like it was just pulled from the oven. YUM!!!
Savvy Suggestion: A standard jellyroll pan is perfect for this cake. If you want one of the best at a great price,this USA jellyroll pan can’t be beaten. Even with a good nonstick pan like this one, you’ll still want to generously spray the bottom and sides with cooking spray. I use Baker’s Joy.
If you try Zoe’s Kitchen chocolate cake, please let me hear how it turns out! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 TB cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 TB cocoa (rounded, almost heaping)
- 6 TB milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb (box) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 jellyroll pan generously with Baker's Joy.
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt & sugar; add the hot cocoa mixture.
- In separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk & soda; mix well; add to cocoa mixture.
- Spread in jelly roll pan; bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
- Frost while still slightly warm.
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil; remove from heat.
- Add vanilla & powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in pecans if using.
- Spread evenly over cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387 Total Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 59g Protein: 14g