Your search for the best chocolate sheet cake ends here with this Zoe’s Kitchen copycat recipe.
What is chocolate sheet cake?
Chocolate sheet cake is baked in a jellyroll or sheet pan. It is typically made with ingredients such as buttermilk and pecans. It is often called Texas sheet cake or jellyroll chocolate cake.
What is Zoe’s chocolate sheet cake?
Zoe’s Kitchen, a popular restaurant chain with several locations in Birmingham, offers a chocolate sheet cake. It is referred to as Zaza’s chocolate cake. It is sold by the slice in clear plastic containers.
The icing on the cake.
The icing on the Zoe’s chocolate cake has a very glossy, smooth consistency that literally drips down the sides of the cake. If you want a thicker icing, simply add more confectioner’s sugar. The more you add, the firmer and more intact the icing will be.
Freezing this chocolate sheet cake.
This cake is super easy to make, stays moist for several days, and leftover slices freeze beautifully. To thaw a frozen slice, simply leave at room temperature for about an hour. You can also microwave a piece for about 45 seconds on 60% power, and it tastes like it was just pulled from the oven. YUM!!!
Helpful tools for this sheet cake.
A good sheet pan is key to making this yummy cake. I have this Chicago Metallic commercial baking sheet, but these can be found in most kitchen and home goods stores. This mini brownie spatula is flexible and perfect for neatly cutting and lifting this cake.
If you try this fabulous chocolate sheet cake, please let me hear how it turns out in the comments below. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 TB cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 TB cocoa (rounded, almost heaping)
- 6 TB milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb (box) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 jellyroll pan generously with Baker's Joy.
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt & sugar; add the hot cocoa mixture.
- In separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk & soda; mix well; add to cocoa mixture.
- Spread in jelly roll pan; bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
- Frost while still slightly warm.
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil; remove from heat.
- Add vanilla & powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in pecans if using.
- Spread evenly over cake.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 55mgSodium 270mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 4g