These strawberry brownies are insanely delicious. If you’ve never tried them, you absolutely must. They taste like a bar cookie version of strawberry cake but easier to make, transport, and eat (no utensils required). This is one of the most repinned recipes from my sweet tooth pinterest board and most visited pages on Family Savvy.
The secret ingredient to these brownies is strawberry cake mix. I use Duncan Hines brand, but any brand should work. Just make sure the cake mix does not contain pudding in the mix, as this might affect the outcome.
These strawberry brownies are not only super easy but can also be made ahead and frozen (sealed in a freezer bag with all air removed. Pictured at right is a batch that I recently pulled from the freezer.They were perfectly ready to eat after a few hours at room temperature.
Cook’s note: Lining the baking pan with parchment will make it super easy to remove the brownies and cut them into perfect squares. As for cooking time, the instructions are approximate, and oven temps vary. Remove brownies when just set; they will continue to cook somewhat upon cooling.
Note: When making a single batch of brownies, I use either and 9″ square pan (for thicker brownies) or Wilton 9 x 13 baking pan (for normal size brownies). When I double the recipe, I use a Nordic Ware Half Sheet Pan. Aluminum pans conduct heat better than glass, so brownies and other baked goods turn out more evenly baked.
NOTE: Cooking temps vary amongst ovens and also pan size. A rule of thumb is to watch these closely, and remove when cracks begin to appear on the surface and brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
When glazing these I use an OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush. It works so much better at spreading glaze than a knife and can be tossed into the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
While still warm, the glaze can be poured over the brownies and spread on top and around the sides. When the brownies cool and the glaze hardens, they can be cut into perfect squares.
I hope that you enjoy one or more of these recipes. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- 1 box strawberry cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ -2 TB water or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 8" square baking pan with parchment (and spray with Pam).
- Mix strawberry cake mix, eggs, and oil with hand mixer until well combined.
- Spread batter evenly into pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until just set; be careful not to overcook.
- Allow brownies to cool for 10 minutes; lift carefully from pan using ends of parchment to lift.
- Mix powdered sugar and water until smooth.
- Pour glaze over brownies, spreading to edges so that glaze will drip down sides.
- Allow brownies to cool and glaze to set before cutting into squares.
I’d love to hear back from you if you try these. I know your family will love them. Thanks so much for stopping by. As always, be blessed, and stay savvy!