This succulent, fork-tender Mississippi roast can be made in the oven or a slow-cooker with carrots added (optional). Best. Roast. EVER!!!
Mississippi roast is a home run main dish on several fronts. First, it is delicious. The savory rich flavor of the meat and the tangy au jus is outstanding. Second, Mississippi roast is ridiculously easy to make. Six ingredients, a slow cooker, and 8 hours are all you need. Third, leftovers are fantastic. As someone who is a bit leftover-averse, I found this roast to be an exception. I had it for dinner two nights in a row and loved it as much the second night as the first!
Note: Although you don’t HAVE to brown the roast, I always do. Browning all sides in sizzling oil just makes for deeper flavor and a more caramelized exterior. It only takes a few extra minutes, and I highly recommend it.
Slow cooker or oven method: This roast is wonderful made in the slow cooker or roasted “low and slow” in the oven. When using my slow cooker, I cook the roast roughly 7-8 hours on low. When baking in my favorite Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven or my enamel Dutch Oven (use a 6 quart oven, at least), I cook the roast on 225 degrees for 7-8 hours.
Carrots can be steamed in a microwave Zip & Steam until fully cooked and added to the roast during the last few hours of cooking. They will absorb some of the flavor of the au jus; they are delicious!
We love eating Mississippi roast with parmesan crusted creamed corn, perfect black eyed peas, creamed potatoes, and sliced tomatoes (see photo below). Who needs Cracker Barrel when you can cook this feast in your own kitchen?
I hope your family loves this roast as much as mine does. If you make it, please let me hear how you like it! As always, thanks so much for stopping by! Be blessed, and stay savvy!
- 3-5 pound roast (sirloin tip or shoulder roast are my favorite cuts)
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet dry au jus seasoning mix
- 1 stick butter
- 7-8 pepperoncini peppers
- 1/2 jar pepporoncini pepper juice (from bottle)
- 1 lb bag baby carrots (optional)
- Brown roast in 2 TB oil over high heat until all sides are seared.
- Place roast in slow cooker or Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle ranch mix over roast.
- Sprinkle au jus mix over roast.
- Place stick of butter atop roast.
- Scatter the peppers on top.
- Drizzle juice over the top.
- In slow cooker, cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- In oven, cook for 7-8 hours (until fall-apart tender) on 225 degrees in middle rack of oven.
- If adding carrots: Steam baby carrots for 10 minutes in microwave bag until just cooked.
- Remove roast; wrap in foil and keep in warm oven.
- Pour roast drippings (au jus) into saucepan.
- Add carrots to saucepan; simmer in au jus over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Place roast on platter surrounded by carrots.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 1115mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g