Grilled romaine is incredibly easy to make in minutes, and its smokey sweetness is the perfect backdrop for blue cheese and balsamic or Caesar dressing.
My friend Cindy turned me onto the ease and deliciousness of grilled romaine, and it is now one of my favorite ways to serve lettuce. It is incredibly yummy!
Grilled romaine is in one of the featured salads at Bellini’s~a wonderful Italian restaurant in Birmingham. It is becoming a popular menu item at more restaurants, and even non-salad eaters often love grilled romaine.
Romaine lettuce is perfectly suited to grilling because its hearty texture holds up to the heat, which bring out its sweetness while adding smokey depth. A few savvy tips will hopefully help you make, and love, this yummy version of lettuce.
Savvy Suggestions for Making Grilled Romaine:
- Buy Prewashed romaine lettuces to save wash/dry lettuce prep. (Costco has these).
- Slice lettuces in half~no smaller. See our first attempt at grilling “small pieces!”
- Grill romaine on charcoal or gas. It tastes great both ways!
- Grill the romaine last~just before eating~so that it will be warm but not wilted for serving.
- Fresh blue cheese or gorgonzola is the perfect cheese to sprinkle over the lettuce.
- Balsamic (here’s one recipe) or Caesar are my fave dressings. Sprouts brand Caesar is fabulous.
- Many recipes suggest a bit of fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top; parmesan is another great cheese topping.
This really is one of the easiest, most yummy ways you can serve lettuce. I’d love to hear from you if you try this or have your own recipe to share. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!