Chicken & Sausage Pasta
This chicken & sausage pasta is a quick, easy to make dish that is infused with Italian flavor from crushed tomatoes, EVOO, red wine, Italian seasonings, and fresh parmesan. #delizioso!
My friend Cindy shared this chicken & sausage pasta recipe with me, and it is one of our new faves! Fresh chicken and fresh turkey or chicken sausage are sauteed in garlic and EVOO and simmered in a rich sauce of crushed tomatoes, red wine, and Italian seasonings. Farafelle or bowtie pasta is added to showcase the fabulous sauce.
This is one of many recipes I’ve gotten from my friend Cindy. She and I meet almost daily at the dog park to let our goldendoodles (Cam and Winston) play. They are half brothers and literally adore each other.
Cindy and I sit on the bench and visit while “the boys” play. Much of what we talk about involves food~great places to eat in town or yummy recipes (we empahasize healthy ones). Since Cindy is a RD (registered dietician) AND a wonderful cook, I come away with many a fab recipe, this one being one of the latest.
This chicken & sausage pasta can be made with any fresh sausage, but I prefer chicken sausage, which definitely reduces the calories and fat. The original recipe from allrecipes calls for Italian turkey sausage, which would be a similar healthy option.
There are so many wonderful places to get freshly made chicken sausages with various seasonings. Sprouts (one of my faves), The Fresh Market (another fave), and Whole Foods often make fresh sausages daily. Since they are uncooked, I buy them when ready to cook them that night or the next day; fresh ground meat has a short shelf life.
Make ahead: To make this meal come together faster, pasta can be cooked a day or two ahead, kept in the fridge, and added to the sauce just before serving. The sauce can also be made early and kept refrigerated. Then before serving, simply reheat the sauce in a skillet, adding pasta at the end.
Serving suggestions: A simple salad and a French baguette is perfect to accompany this dish. I LOVE the French baguettes from The Fresh Market, served alongside their rosemary dipping oil (The Fresh Market brand). This bread and oil combo literally is addictive. #ihavethewaisttoshowforit #worthit
I hope you leave comments if you try this! Do you have any fave recipes to share? If so, comment them on the post. It is SO fun to swap recipes, and this blog is a welcome place for anyone to share. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
Chicken & Sausage Pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked farfalle pasta
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine (not cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (use fresh and use lots:-)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Cut or squeeze sausage from casings into bite size pieces (meat will be soft).
- Heat EVOO and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Remove garlic from oil when it begins to turn golden; set aside.
- Add chicken and sausage to skillet; brown on all sides until meat cooks completely.
- Add the tomatoes and the wine; bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add basil, rosemary, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Simmer sauce and meat for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to the skillet mixture.
- Sprinkle liberally with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Toss and serve.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 4268Total Fat 72gSaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 165mgSodium 282mgCarbohydrates 761gSugar 42gProtein 211g