Our favorite recipe for chicken tortilla soup has a surprise ingredient that makes it rich and creamy!
My Favorite Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This recipe is my favorite chicken tortilla soup, as it comes together in 30 minutes or less. It is loaded with flavor, and it has a rich, thick creamy consistency that my family loves. When I share my secret ingredient for making this soup creamy, you might be surprised!!!
What is in chicken tortilla soup?
Although there are many variations of chicken tortilla soup, most recipes contain similar basic ingredients. I’ve listed them below.
- Chicken: Cooked and shredded chicken is the meat used in most recipes.
- Broth or stock: Chicken broth is the most common liquid. Bone broth is my favorite for added protein.
- Vegetables: Most recipes for chicken tortilla soup include onions, garlic, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- Spices and seasonings: Various spices and seasonings that often include chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Beans and corn: Chili beans, black beans, and pinto beans are commonly used. I add Niblet and Mexican corn to some versions.
- Toppings: Tortilla chips, shredded cheeses, avocado slices, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime juice or diced green onions are great toppings for this soup..
The specific ingredients and their proportions can vary depending on the recipe and personal preferences. Certainly, it’s a versatile soup that can be customized to suit your taste.
How do you thicken watery soup?
You can thicken soup or just about anything with corn starch or flour. For this recipe, I used a can of pureed canned chili beans. I like this for a healthier option. Other thickening agents include arrow root or tomato paste. When adding a dry thickening agent to soup, always add liquid to make a paste. Otherwise, the soup can get lumpy.
What do you serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup?
When the kids were home, we put all the toppings and didn’t worry about calories. Now that we are dining alone, Zane and I prefer healthier options like avocados. I usually add a salad to the menu to make sure we are getting enough greens.
I’d love to hear how you garnish your chicken tortilla soup. Leave your answer in the recipe comments below. One last thing before you start cooking, I always get comments on my fun Staub cast iron pot. So here is the link. Stay Savvy, friends!
- 3-4 cups cooked, diced chicken (rotisserie is fine)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 colored pepper, diced
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic (or 2 cubes Dorot frozen cubes)
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 2 cans green chilis
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 can chili or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 6-8 cups chicken bone broth (depending upon preference)
- Heat EVOO; add onion and peppers. Sauté until soft.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder and cumin. Sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add green chilis and beans; puree with immersion blender.
- Add broth and chicken.
- Bring to boil; reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with toppings.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 138Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 20mgSodium 272mgCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 5gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 8g
- Brunswick Stew
- Bobby’s Brunswick Stew
- Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Cornbread
- Spicy Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Grandma Grace’s Vegetable Soup
- Beefy Cabbage Soup
- Turkey Chili