These no bake chocolate peanut butter “lunchroom” bars were a favorite treat to many of us who lived long enough ago that lunchroom food was made from scratch and often quite yummy (just like these bars).
For most of us who lived “back in the day” when school lunches tasted like home cooking, these yummy chocolate bars will stir fond memories.
Other than the heavenly lunchroom rolls that prompted most students to ask for an “extra,” these chocolate peanut butter bars were probably one of the most popular lunchroom menu items. Since peanut butter was a government commodity and in plentiful supply, these treats were served often.
There are several versions of this recipe–some using brown sugar, some using white, some using graham crackers, some not, and some using peanut butter in the icing and some using only chocolate. I’ve tried most, and these are my personal favorite. They taste as close to a homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup as anything I’ve ever eaten.
The following recipe makes a large amount, so I frequently half the recipe and make in a 8 x 8 square pan. To make the bars easier to cut squares, I always line the pan with parchment paper. When the mixture is firm, remove all at once by lifting the parchment paper. Cut into squares, and store in an airtight container.
If you make these, please let me hear back! If you recall a fond lunchroom treat, please share your bit of nostalgia:-) As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham crackers, processed into fine crumbs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I use Ghirardhelli semi sweet)
- 1 tsp oil (I use coconut)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and peanut butter together, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat, and add in the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers and powdered sugar.
- Add in the peanut butter mixture; stir well.
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with Pam or line parchment paper.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly into the pan, pressing down firmly.
- Melt the chocolate chips and oil in the microwave on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spread the chocolate over the peanut butter layer.
- Refrigerate for several hours or until bars are firm enough to cut.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g