It takes less than an hour to make this easy Instant Pot (or Stovetop) chicken noodle soup that is rich, savory, and comforting. This recipe works for turkey noodle soup as well!
Whether you make your own chicken, have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, or pick up pulled rotisserie chicken from the store, this easy chicken noodle soup is the perfect thing to make with it.
Chicken noodle soup it is considered a comfort food, and the first thing most folks want to eat when they are under the weather. Whereas making homemade chicken noodle soup used to be a bit of trouble, the Instant Pot has changed all of that. Just use the “sauté” function to sauté veggies/aromatics and then press “soup” for perfect results in no time.
The Instant Pot is my favorite way to make soups. The process is so easy, and even better, the soup cooks in an hour or so (but looks and tastes like it cooked all day). Two other family favorites are Minestrone Soup in Minutes and my crazy delicious Instant Pot Vegetable Soup.
Chicken or Turkey: I make chicken noodle soup whenever I have 2-3 cups of cooked white meat chicken (or turkey) on hand. I’ve used both meats in this soup, and the turkey is just as delicious as the chicken version. NOTE: The chicken looks kind of dark in the soup but it is all white meat. The seasonings just make the chicken look darker.
Vegetables: I use about one cup each of carrots, celery and onion (chopped small) and a few cloves of minced garlic.
Butter and EVOO: I like to saute the vegetables in a combination of butter (or ghee) and EVOO. If you want to use just one, that is fine too.
Seasoning: My favorite way to season the chicken soup is with Greek seasoning. Zoe’s Spice of Life is my favorite. Any seasoning blend will work; just make sure not to use too much salt (the bouillon cube and Better Than Bouillon have salt as well).
Chicken Broths: I use several different chicken broths to add layers of flavor to the soup. Chicken broth (canned or in a carton) is the foundation, and I add at least one chicken bouillon cube and 1 TB Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken base.
Noodles: I use egg noodles because they cook quickly (no boiling) and are so delicious in this soup. You can switch up the noodles, but ditalini and elbow pastas take longer to cook.
If you try this soup, please let me hear what you think! My family thinks I am a rockstar when I make this; yours will too! Thanks so much for stopping by Family Savvy. Be blessed!!!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- 1 carton or 2 cans lower sodium chicken broth (I use chicken bone broth also)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB butter
- 2 tsp Greek or Italian seasoning (or more/less depending on taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 TB chicken base (I use Better Than Bouillon)
- 8 oz wide egg noodles, uncooked
- Place butter and EVOO in Instant Pot; press sauté.
- Saute onion, celery & carrots until tender; add garlic the last few minutes of sauté.
- Sprinkle vegetables with salt, pepper, and Greek or preferred seasonings.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, Better than Bouillon base, and bay leaves.
- Turn Instant Pot off; turn back on and press "SOUP" function.
- Allow soup to slow release after cooking; open lid and add noodles.
- Replace lid; let noodles cook for 8 minutes in broth.
Amount Per Serving Calories 207Total Fat 16gProtein 15g