This easy cheddar bacon ranch tater tot casserole is perfect party food~similar to a loaded baked potato in a dish:-)
This crazy yummy cheesy tater tot casserole was born when I baked my favorite potato puffs in a mixture of some of my favorite ingrdients. The end result was SO delicious! I think it tastes more sophisticated than traditional tater tot casseroles that contain mushroom or chicken soup. This version is cheesy, French onioney, sour cream and chivey delicious:-)
I doubled the recipe below for our small group, as we were serving 16-18 guests. This dish is perfect to serve at a large gathering where you have hearty appetites. It is a great substitute for mac & cheese or hash brown casserole. It is much easier to make than mac & cheese (no boiling pasta) and much yummier than hash brown casserole (in my opinion).
Make ahead: This can be made ahead and frozen (up to a month) or refrigerated (up to two days). To bake from frozen, thaw a day or two ahead in the fridge; bake as directed.
Tater tots: Ore Ida has the trademark on tater tots, and these tots will work great in this recipe, but my favorite “tater tots” are Alexia crispy seasoned potato puffs with roasted garlic and cracked black pepper. These potato puffs are more sophisticated and flavorful than plain tater tots and have fantastic flavor and a light, crisp texture. To get the correct amount (2 pounds), you’ll use a whole bag and part of another. Thankfully, leftover tots can be saved for later.
If you try this dish, I’d love to hear your thoughts! As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be Blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 2 lbs. tater tots (I use Alexia potato puffs crispy seasoned)
- 1 cup sour cream (reduced fat is fine)
- 1 cup French onion dip (I use Dean's)
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 package real bacon bits
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, onion dip, cheddar, bacond bits & ranch; stir well.
- Fold in potato puffs or tots.
- Spread in even layer in pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 2gSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 4g