Your family will LOVE these easy-to-make, absolutely delicious stuffed sweet potato skins that can be enjoyed as a side dish or served as a party appetizer.
Sweet potato skins are a fave at our house.
One night, I decided to make sweet potato skins to change up my dinner game. I make potato skins frequently and wanted to try sweet potatoes instead of my typical Idaho version. We loved them so much that I’ve now started making these more often than my other version.
Eat these stuffed sweet potatoes skin and all!
If you wash and rinse the potatoes, the skins are delicious and safe to eat! If you oil the potatoes and sprinkle them with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic salt, they will taste fabulous and crispy once they are cooked!
Can you eat the skins of a sweet potato?
Sweet potato skins are edible, and they are something you can use in any recipe. Aside from antioxidants, they are also rich in fiber, which gives you an increased feeling of satiety, promotes a healthier gut, and lessens your risk of having a chronic disease. So, if you want to get the most out of sweet potato, eat the skin, too.
Does eating sweet potatoes lighten skin?
According to research, the nutrients in sweet potatoes can improve your skin. Although you might have to eat a large amount of sweet potatoes to see results, they are nutrient dense and could definitely benefit skin. With its beta-carotene, it fights off free radicals that can cause skin aging.
Why are sweet potatoes good for weight loss?
Due to its high content of dietary fiber, sweet potatoes are preferred by people when they want to lose weight loss. Eating sweet potatoes makes you feel, which helps you not to overeat. Since they are rich in fiber, it promotes good digestion.
What is the white stuff on sweet potatoes?
When you cut a sweet potato open, there might be instances that a white liquid comes out of a potato. That is safe! That is a product of the combination of starch and water.
Stuff the sweet potatoes with endless options.
The easiest way to make these is to mix the insides with butter, seasonings, and perhaps a bit of cream cheese. You can also make these hearty and delicious by stuffing the skins with several different foods. Taco meat, pulled pork or chicken, beef barbacoa, or any smoky meat is great. Vegetable options for stuffing include avocado slices, diced radishes, fresh chopped cilantro, salsa, and more.
- 4-5 sweet potatoes
- 1/2-3/4 cup sharp cheddar (feta also great)
- 2 TB melted butter or ghee
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- OPTIONAL FILLINGS:
- taco meat
- BBQ chicken
- BBQ pork
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash & rinse potatoes; arrange on baking sheet.
- Spray skins with EVOO or avocado oil.
- Sprinkle skins with kosher salt & garlic salt.
- Bake until done (yield to pressure when squeezed).
- Remove and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out potato flesh (leave about 1/2 " inside the skin).
- Brush potatoes with butter/ghee inside & outside.
- Sprinkle insides with a bit of kosher salt & pepper.
- Arrange on a baking sheet with skins up.
- Return to 400 F oven; bake until skins begin to crisp.
- Flip halves over; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake just until cheese melts.
- Top with crumbled bacon, taco meat, BBQ pulled pork, etc...or serve with sour cream.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 47mgSodium 805mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 10g