These Smashed Potatoes Are Beyond Sensational
Here’s how you can make sensational smashed potatoes that your family will surely love!
If you are looking for ways on how to prepare a fabulous dish your loved ones will surely enjoy, this dish is for you. Potatoes are absolutely delicious and are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals! You can cook them in whatever way you like, but this recipe is perfect if you want to make a tasty yet easy dish!
Tips on Making Smashed Potatoes
- Make use of small potatoes. You can use a variety of potatoes in this recipe, but if you want to get a crispier exterior, choose the smaller ones instead. Fingerling potatoes, red potatoes, and Yukon gold are great sizes for smashed potatoes. If you can find the tiny potatoes (Fresh Market and Trader Joe’s often carry them), they will work also!
- Let the potatoes sit for a bit after smashing. The potatoes will release steam immediately after being smashed. Let them “sit a bit” to dry out for a crisper exterior.
- Consider olive oil your best friend. Before smashing the potatoes on the baking sheet, baste or spray them with extra virgin olive oil. And don’t forget to drizzle some on top of the potatoes once you’re done smashing them.
What is the difference between mashed potatoes and smashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes are potatoes that are peeled and simmered in boiling water and “mashed” with a potato masher or hand blender. They have a fluffy, smooth consistency. On the other hand, smashed potatoes are boiled to tender, cooled, and then smashed flat with skins intact. They look more like small potato pancakes.
What to Serve with Smashed Potatoes
This recipe for smashed potatoes can be used for an appetizer or as a side dish. If served as an appetizer, make sure to offer small bowls of ketchup, sour cream or other “dipping sauce.” I usually make smashed potatoes to serve with this steak or our favorite baked chicken!
If you like this recipe, please leave comments below. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
Sensational Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds small potatoes *see note
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- FOR GARNISH
- Sour cream
- crumpled bacon
- Cheddar cheese, and chives
- Place potatoes in a saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the top of the potatoes. Add salt, and bring water to a boil.
- Once water boils, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer potatoes until fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Place them on a heavy baking sheet. Allow to cool to the touch.
- Using the bottom of a glass jar (yogurt or baby food jars work well), smash the potatoes to the height of a pancake.
- Brush the potatoes with melted butter or ghee; add more seasonings if desired.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are brown and crisp.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them rest for at least 5 minutes before assembling them on a serving platter.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 9mgSodium 901mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 5g