I’m going to share how to make instant pot chicken breasts perfectly seasoned and fork tender that will also yield a rich, savory homemade chicken broth as well.
A bag of tender, flavorful cooked chicken breast meat in the fridge is a busy cook’s best friend. In addition to being a healthy protein source, it also is the most versatile meat ever. I am not one who loves to buy a rotisserie for pulled meat. I much prefer making a batch of my own perfectly seasoned, fork tender breast meat.
This Instant Pot chicken breast method is easy, foolproof, and makes a generous amount of chicken that can be used for days. It also makes a flavorful, rich chicken broth that can be used immediately or frozen for later. Homemade chicken broth in the freezer? #yesplease:-)
Chicken Breasts: I buy mine at The Fresh Market every Tuesday and make this chicken Tuesday or Wednesday. This method works with frozen or fresh. I cut my breasts in half because they are quite large.
Ghee: Drizzling the breasts with a bit of ghee (or melted butter) adds huge flavor and a bit of fat. I got this idea from @melshealthymeals and will do it from now on. It makes the broth richer too. I use Trader Joe’s ghee; it is super reasonably priced.
Seasonings: This is preference, but I season the breasts before pressure cooking with salt, pepper, Jane’s Crazy Salt, garlic salt and a bit of Everything But the Bagel. It makes chicken more flavorful than seasoning after cooking, although I do add more after cooking if needed.
Chicken Broth: Instead of water, chicken broth boosts the flavor of chicken in the Instant Pot. I always use a cup of broth (especially since I cook 2-3 pounds per time). I use canned broth or bouillon added to water. My favorite is Better Than Bouillon chicken base.
Steamer Basket or wire trivet: This is good for two reasons. It keeps the chicken above the water so that it steams (instead of boils) and also makes it easy to lift the cooked chicken from the Instant Pot when done. I use this inexpensive steamer basket.
Instant Pot- I use an 8-qt and bought my college daughters a 6-qt. This method will work with either size.
It is absolutely liberating to have chicken on hand for a few days, so I hope this Instant Pot method comes in handy for you. Feel free to ask any questions or leave comments at the end of the post. As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed, and stay savvy!!!
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half if large)
- 2-3 TB ghee (or melted butter)
- seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, Crazy Salt, Everything But the Bagel & Garlic Salt are my faves
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup boiling water with bouillon cube or base added to make one cup)
- Place trivet or steamer basket in bottom of Instant Pot.
- Place chicken on top of basket.
- Season breasts and drizzle with ghee.
- Pour cup of broth into Instant Pot.
- Set pressure valve to sealing.
- Press "poultry" or set to 30 minutes high pressure.
- When done cooking, release pressure and remove chicken.
- With gloved hands or fork, break chicken apart.
- Cool broth in fridge; remove fat once it hardens.
- Store chicken and broth in fridge or freezer.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1292Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 723mgSodium 598mgProtein 204g