These decadent, cheesy, low carb cauliflower puffs are a delicious low-carb option for potato puffs or grit cakes.
The cheese in these puffs could be varied to make several versions of this recipe. This sharp cheddar is a perfect choice and very kid friendly. The next time I make these, I want to try Gruyere and fresh parmesan to see if the puffs taste similar my family’s favorite gourmet Gruyere cheese grits.
These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave or oven. The microwave will yield a softer puff, so I microwave until thawed and finish in the oven to get the outside crispy.
- 1 head cauliflower, heavy stems removed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded aged sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (or almond meal)
- 1 TB sea salt
- 1 TB freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In food processor, shred cauliflower until fine.
- Squeeze cauliflower with a clean towel until all water is removed.
- In medium sized bowl, mix cauliflower, cornmeal or almond meal, eggs, cheddar, sea salt, ground pepper, and garlic salt.
- Press mixture firmly into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Bake at 400 until very golden and crispy on the outside, 35-40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 200 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 69mg Sodium 933mg Carbohydrates 7g Fiber 2g Sugar 1g Protein 12g