With some fabulous Trader Joe’s steamed lentils and a few more ingredients, you can whip up a pot of healthy, hearty and delicious tomato lentil soup in 20 minutes flat.
Now that Fall is FINALLY in the air, I am getting in #soupmode at my house! This soup is one of my faves, and I made a batch yesterday. I included an instagram video below to show how easy this soup is to make (IF you have access to a T.J.’s for the ingredients). For my friends who don’t have access, I am hoping you can find similar ingredients at your nearest grocery.
This soup is savory, rich, creamy, hearty and delicious. If you love tomato soup, this is right up your alley. The addition of lentils makes it heartier (and healthier). Steamed lentils are a DREAM for those of us who want quick and easy options.
What are lentils?
Lentils are mini-sized legumes that are packed with protein, fiber, and minerals. A one cup serving of lentils has about 16 grams of fiber. Lentils come in several varieties (i.e. red, green, brown), but brown tends to be the most common. Brown lentils have a mild, earthy flavor. They are used in soups, stews, and many vegetarian “burgers” and vegan dishes.
What are Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils?
Trader Joe’s steamed lentils are already cooked (steamed) and vacuum packed. You’ll find these in the refrigerated produce section, typically on the top where fresh shelled edamame is located. If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s, you might be able to find another brand (Melissa’s makes them, I believe).
Trader Joe’s Organic Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
This large carton of creamy, flavorful soup is the basis for this recipe. Along with one (13 oz) can of tomatoes, you’ll end up with a rich tomato flavor. For the canned tomatoes, you can use fire-roasted or regular. I prefer crushed to diced, as I like a smoother consistency. Again, if you don’t live near a T.J.’s, you can surely find cans of organic fire roasted soup in your grocery.
What is mirepoix?
Pronounced “meer PWAH,” it is a mixture of onions, carrots, and celery sautéed in butter or EVOO. It’s used as an aromatic, flavorful addition to foods ranging from soups and sauces to braised meats and marinades. You can buy mirepoix already diced at T.J.’s, but I prefer making my own in my food processor.
The Chicken Broth Option For This Soup
You need only 1 cup of chicken broth for this soup. You have several options.
- 1 cup water + 1 TB chicken base (Better Than Bouillon is my favorite)
- 1 cup water = 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 cup canned (or carton) chicken bone broth
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
In the short video below (that I took from Instagram), I show how easy it is to make this yummy soup.
What to Serve With This Soup
If you are practicing low carb or FWTFL (read my FWTFL journey here), you can pair this soup with a hearty Kale Ceasar salad. If you want an EASY yummy one, check out my (very unprofessional) instagram video below). If you have peeps who want something hearty, this pimento cheese cornbread is the BEST (and also quick and easy).
If you make this soup, I’d love love to hear from you! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated:-) As always, thanks so much for stopping by. Have a joyful, blessed and savvy day!!!
- 1 carton Trader Joe's steamed lentils
- 1 carton Trader Joe's organic tomato roasted red pepper soup
- 1 cup mirepoix (diced onion, celery, carrot)
- 1 TB minced garlic (optional but good)
- 2-3 TB good EVOO
- 1 15-oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes (or regular crushed tomatoes)
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use water + Better Than Bouillon chicken base)
- Heat EVOO in Dutch oven; add mirepoix.
- Saute mirepoix 4-5 minutes or until tender, adding garlic last few minutes of saute.
- Heat water and bouillon cube in microwave until water boils; stir to dissolve bouillon.
- Add tomato soup, canned tomatoes, lentils, and broth mixture to Dutch oven.
- Bring to boil; reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 160 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 7mg Sodium 303mg Carbohydrates 10g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g